No announcement yet.

Ben's V8 Coupe Quattro project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your exhaust guy certainly took his time, but it looks great!

Comment

Haha, this is pretty baller

Comment

Was working to figure out an electric fan controller. Decided on the Hayden 3655. It's a single piece unit with really good reviews on Summit. It also has the option of a probe or NPT sensor so I can try it without cutting/welding into the radiator. It's fully adjustable with variable fan speeds too. sounds pretty cool! Cool - get it?

Anyway, I also realize I never showed any final pics of the exhaust...
        you've seen the front part - here's the back:

A few more developments and progress...

Got the snub mount installed. My exhaust guy built it from my foamcore mock up:

Also, I tackled the heater core and overflow bottle plumbing today. The ABH has the coolant bottle on the PS while the ABZ has it on the Drivers side - like the B4 V6 bottle I am using. So I had the ABH installed originally (pictured below and bottom) but hoped to use the ABZ (pictured below at the top). However, to swap these you need both this piece and the water pipe that sits above the valley pan - which I don't have.

I ended up blocking off the long run on the passengers side and installing a T on the other side to hit the bottle.

I used 2 V6 bleeder hoses for the Heater Core. I bought one from the junkyard the other day and when I got home I had two already.
        Also got the radiator hoses made other than one silicone 1 1/2" to 1" reducer that is shipping overnight. Once it arrives I can FINALLY let this thing run for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Also, This temp sensor is on the ABZ harness but doesn't show up anywhere on the engine harness wiring diagram. Anybody know what it's for?
        1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
        1995 90
        2011 A4 Avant
        1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

To answer my own question, That is the coolant temp sender that the instrument cluster uses. Anyone know what wires the IC uses for this? I can't find it in my bentley
          1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
          1995 90
          2011 A4 Avant
          1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

Instrument wiring is originally off mfts. I've got which wires it is written in my notes somewhere, I'll check later.
            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Looks like I haven't updated here in a while!

I figured out I had a bad Power Output Stage on the right engine bank so I'd never fired cylinder #3.

Got that all squared away and got the idle working better - shot this video:

All squared away, here's the engine bay:

Finally It's time to drive the thing! I replaced all the pads and rotors on the braking system since the car had sat for 7 years before I bought it. Also replaced the stock struts since they were totally blown.

Drove the car to and from work the other day and have driven it a bit since.

a few things:

When I start the car up and drive at first, It seems like the power isn't being transferred to the wheels right. I get up to 3rd gear before I'm at 20 MPH. It did this again today as I took a ride and then about a mile away something happened and I instantly had power and the car ran totally differently. Any ideas on what this could be? I thought maybe the clutch was slipping very slightly but I can't imagine that happening only when cold.

Also, I have some more data on the hot running. I drove over to my dads house today to give him a ride since he's been my sidekick on this project at times. I was running at 97* and not really cooling all that well. Its not a far drive - maybe 10 minutes tops. So when I got there I checked the two coolant hoses. The return hose and that whole half of the radiator was still very cool. Clearly there isn't a lot of flow through the system. I have verified that sitting still at idle the thermostat opens (though a little hotter than I'd like). So I think that the radiator - being so damn big - is providing enough very cool coolant that it just about instantly closes the thermostat.

I have a couple ideas on how to fix this. One is to get a cooler thermostat. Mine is an 87* so maybe I could go with a 80*?
              Or what about no thermostat at all? Obviously I'd be adding time to getting the engine warm but with how damn hot these v8's run it wouldn't take long. I could control the temperature of the coolant in the system with the fan controller. I'm leaning toward going this route at least to see what happens and to see just how much the radiator and fans can cool this car.

Lastly, I finally got the bumper cover back on. with the size of the radiator and how far forward I put it, I had to to some hacking to get the cover on...

I need to come up with a solution for the under headlight trims. The width of the radiator meant cutting the inside tabs off the headlights so I need to find another way to secure the trims.
              1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
              1995 90
              2011 A4 Avant
              1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

That looks amazing! For the headlight trims you should just make a little L-shaped mount for each side and then secure it to the bumper. You can glue it, screw it on or do whatever you want to make it hold on. There is room for a lot of interpretations. Just there is no point looking for a way to attach it to the headlight - just use the bumper.
                1994 Audi 80 Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Klobsters View Post
                  That looks amazing! For the headlight trims you should just make a little L-shaped mount for each side and then secure it to the bumper. You can glue it, screw it on or do whatever you want to make it hold on. There is room for a lot of interpretations. Just there is no point looking for a way to attach it to the headlight - just use the bumper.
                  Good thinking - thanks!
                  1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                  1995 90
                  2011 A4 Avant
                  1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

puffffffffffffffffff... american front bumper are so ugly...
                    good job man, the videos are not availables, i need hear it
                    Step 1: setup. <==
                    Step 2: potentiation.
                    Step 3: enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by zafra View Post
                      puffffffffffffffffff... american front bumper are so ugly...
                      good job man, the videos are not availables, i need hear it

They are ugly as sin. I have a euro bumper on my cabriolet and may do the same for this eventually.

Let me try the video without embedding it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ScOYwV8WwI
                      1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                      1995 90
                      2011 A4 Avant
                      1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

Nice sound [emoji51]

Enviado desde mi Mi 4i mediante Tapatalk
                        Step 1: setup. <==
                        Step 2: potentiation.
                        Step 3: enjoy.

Comment

That sounds sexy as hell!
                          1994 Audi 80 Competition

Comment

Thanks!
                            1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                            1995 90
                            2011 A4 Avant
                            1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

awesome build

Comment

Some Videos!
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVA1...ature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/HRFM0rJ6dj4
                                1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                                1995 90
                                2011 A4 Avant
                                1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X