No announcement yet.

Urq project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... does this expose a weakness in VEMS handling of knock - maybe did not detect early enough and pull back timing (and/or add fuel and/or reduce boost) for safety - or is the nearest knock sensor not working correctly ?
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by Airwolf View Post

I see, so if one of your pumps fail your engine can Lean out for the lack of fuel instead of having one pump that stops your engine if fails.

Weldon delieveres big fuel pump that have the ability to do sugetion and pumping
      If the low pressure pump fails my surge tank will run out of fuel and the engine will quit quite quickly. One HP fuel pump failure will reduce capacity, but they are more than capable of each feeding over 600HP on normal petrol, so this wouldn't be an issue unless on E85 or M100. I except that all pumps can fail, and even a large multi staged pump can fail fully or partially leaving an engine without enough. Also a large multi stage pump depends on a steady feed from the tank, which is difficult to guarantee when pulling 1G+ forces, that is why i like my Nuke surge tank system that is fed from a foam filled fuel cell.. I except that no system is perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post

Bikers are just nuts - especially Irish bikers - leather clad organ donors.

Anyway... getting back to the plot, if your injectors are perfect then it begs the bigger question of what caused that cylinder to melt down and cause damage to its neighbours - are both pumps at full health ?
        If you have one that is underperforming you would expect to see some lean running under high load across all cylinders - and you said the WB02 readings were consistently good - scratching my head why one cylinder would be so adversely affected.
        Quoting Dmitri - Cyl 4 always knocks first.

JP has told me the same. I think that while messing on the road setting up the boost/fueling/timing its very possible that the engine knocked and damaged the gasket around cylinder 4. Its also possible that this gasket was weak and some knock blew it easily on the rolling road, or even on the road on the way there. The engine never lost water BTW. AFR always seemed ok, and all pumps seem healthy and well able to pump a lot of fuel at pressure. Boost did spike while setting it up, and that could of also been a cause. While driving on the road in this car with no carpets and a solid mounted engine/gearbox/diff etc you just cant hear ping/knock, and i wasn't using knock cans. I only used the knock cans on the rolling road, and immediately could hear knock. VEMS can be setup to monitor knock, and many have had good success with it. I haven't knock detection enabled on this setup, or in my urs4. Maybe that is a major flaw in my setups... You live and learn. I will definitely be looking closer at the knock setup going forward.

Alex VEMS uses correction factors for boost and temperature so you dont see the VE change as boost increases. As the engine comes on and off cam you would see changes in VE, but with a 7a cam setup its fairly flat. The URS4 is similar with lower numbers up top, as its on stock cams and a smaller turbo.

Comment

• That sounds feasible - where undetected knock on #4 has damaged the gasket and things went south soon afterwards. Hindsight is always 20:20 as they say - looks like you will be learning about the wonders of knock detection on VEMS then. Deep breath and more beer is all I can suggest.
          Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• This guy is properly mental in such a good way. He builds bike engines, generally but not always with a turbo or even 2 attached. Proper turbos. Efr9180. Gt42. 910 bhp at the rear wheel mental. 910 Dyno print out please, BIG CC at least post them up on the web.

Comment

• I was thinking on the same lines 910 from a bike engine is pretty spectacular

Comment

• We done more than that at big cc. Have a look, the only difference is we post the Dyno graft. Talk is only talk

Comment

• I dont have any dyno graphs for his bikes. But i have no reason to doubt it as i seen some of these things with Garrett GT42 turbos on. On his site he lists prices for builds if thats your thing. https://www.holeshotracing.online/
                  Quote "Holeshot Racing has over 3 decades of experience in Motorcycle Engine Tuning from mild modifications to full blown maxpower tuning, custom exhausts, wiring looms and ECU's. We have a wealth of experience boasting some highly regarded UK Land Speed Records aboard our 708bhp Turbo Suzuki GSXR1300R Hayabusa and many other Holeshot prepared bikes. From Road Racing, Drag Racing, Hillclimb, Autograss, Motorcross to Wheelie bikes or custom road going machinery we offer services to suit anyone's requirements."

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=2868
                  • Prices taken from Holeshot Racing in 2013
                  • $35,985 2.8 L 400 hp Naturally Aspirated
                  • $39,911 2.9 L 450 hp Naturally Aspirated
                  • $39,911 3.0 L 500 hp Naturally Aspirated
                  • $37,621 2.8 L 600 hp Twin-turbo
                  • $44,981 2.8 L 800 hp Twin-turbo
                  • $46,781 2.8 L 1000 hp Twin-turbo

Comment

• Wow that is spectacular

Comment

• Ok so I got 2 TDI bottom ends so now I have a spare. Stripped one block and had it bored and decked. New pistons where ordered. Crank and rods from the blower engine where fine, but I got new bearings anyhow and had the crank inspected and polished. Bottom end is now built up. Turbo is repaired. JP has the head and he is working his magic as he believes it can be repaired!

So just waiting on the head and a gasket set now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

• Two engine stands - thats just showing off ;-)

Did you ever get that Gripper diff installed ?

Talking of which - what is the crack with those at the local MOT places on those programmable rollers which brake test one wheel at a time - if they are testing the right wheel, you normally see the left wheel turning the opposite way - is that because of the reaction forces through an open diff - or are they turning wheels opposite ways on 4WD to prevent any torque transfer from front to rear... Just wondering WTF would happen with an LSD (plate style or ATB) if they try to force wheels in opposite directions ?
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net
                          Two engine stands - thats just showing off ;-)

Did you ever get that Gripper diff installed ?

Talking of which - what is the crack with those at the local MOT places on those programmable rollers which brake test one wheel at a time - if they are testing the right wheel, you normally see the left wheel turning the opposite way - is that because of the reaction forces through an open diff - or are they turning wheels opposite ways on 4WD to prevent any torque transfer from front to rear... Just wondering WTF would happen with an LSD (plate style or ATB) if they try to force wheels in opposite directions ?
                          A normal guy shouldn't need 2 engine stands, but I have 3 FFS. Lol.

Yea had the gripper diff in the car before the engine expired. It's really good at getting power down. One wheel in the air and it still lights up the other wheel type good. I don't notice any of the lockup on overrun, but maybe on track when pushing hard it might be more noticeable. Only negative is a slight noise from the diff when turning slowly in a carpark.

Comment

• Good to see you’re making progress Des
                            We have just repaired similar knock damage on a Ferrari 512 head - a replacement head is £6k. Needs to be laser welded using filler to suit the alloy - the silicone content is very important to avoid porosity which leads to cracking. Personally I would not trust this repair for long term service under the high temps & cylinder pressures of 2bar boost. Just my 2c
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks for the input Alex. Yea I was a bit nervous about the head, but after talking to a few places it seems like something that's not that uncommon to do, and when done right the results are good. I do have a stock head but am nervous about running stock exhaust valves.

Comment

• If Jp has your head that the type of magic he performs
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X