Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help with dimentions please

guys

While I don't have an S2 im bitten by the S2 bug and im thinking of building a budget sprint car based on a turbocharged S2 engine and FWD gearbox mounted in the rear of a fully strengthened Sunbeam.

I had thought about a lotus conversion but i feel converting to rear engine and turbo power would be a lot more fun.

What I need to know is length of the FWD box from bellhousing to the back of the case, front of bellhousing to centre of drive shaft and final drive ratio's.I have a limited amount of room available behind the seats and i want to make sure the drive shafts and gearbox will all fall where they need to.

Also is there any specific box I should look out for.

Thanks
    Last edited by bigtoe; 19 October 2003, 15:27.

Ratios (final drive) of box from type 85 Audi Coupe GT (87) is 4.11:1, box from Audi 100 CD (87) is also 4.11:1 and is easier to use rear mounted, due to position of selector mechanism (on tot of box just behind bellhousing). Audi Coupe version has selector mechanism at rear of casing and will make rear mounting connection awkward. Email me for info on codes and any more info.

Comment

Thinking of your conversion, I don't think you'll have enough room behind your seats in Sunbeam for 016 transmission AND 5 zyl motor. I did consider the same option in a '85 Coupe quattro and there was NO WAY it was gonna fit. You can't make it rear engined as in a Porsche 911, as you'll end up with 5 reverse gears and 1 reverse!! :eek2: You could use a Beetle transaxle with an adapter plate made up to take the 5 zyl engine (4 speed) or Porsche 914 / 911 (5 speed)

Comment

I do have quite a lot of room, I was banking on the FWD box having the drive shafts at the front of the bell housing much the same as the 4WD box in the quattro.So the box and engine are mounted the same as in the quattro just without the propshaft to the rear diff.This i would just move to the rear of the car with the drive to the rear wheels.So still N/S mounted.

I was also thinking of moving the front footwells forward if needed although I would only have 4 to 6" to play with on the drivers side.

At the end of the day it all depends on the length of the engine and box combined with the relationship of the drive shafts landing in the correct spot for the rear wheels.

If I knew the length of the engine i could then post how much room I have in relation to this with regard to the gearbox.

Comment

The length of the engine with nothing bolted to it is 56cm long and 39cm wide

Martyn
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Don't know how big a Sunbeam is, but I reckon you're gonna struggle...
            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Vagsport quotes:

" Don't know how big a Sunbeam is, but I reckon you're gonna struggle..."

Something aint right here, this was my reply, but it has appeared under Martyn's name!

:confused: :confused:

Comment

Hmm.. I noticed that?? I didn't post that message!! so how did it get here in my name???

Sienna
                Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Hacker!!!
                  Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Looks like Vagparts is branching out into computer hacking!

Comment

The only branching you'll find around me is a 5 branch exhaust manifold what you bean up to Sweeper???
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Looks like im 100mm to sort to fit the engine with box with the drive shafts in the correct spot.

thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                        X