• Roof Rack??

Any one got a roof rack for a coupe??

Need to get some surf boards on the roof

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

I got halfords own ones - I don't think they quoted them for the coupe but the 90 ones fitted. It is just 2 bars - but I am sure you can get attachments for surfboards. They weren't that expensive but I think they were on offer at the time.

I don't like putting them on the car as they tend to leave marks on the roof - you also need to break out the clips that they hook into - they cost pennies to replace but need replaced everytime!
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
      you also need to break out the clips that they hook into - they cost pennies to replace but need replaced everytime!
      Thats odd. I can place a roof rack in the slots. Then the clips in the slot moves inward and when the rack is removed they are pushed outwards by a spring or something. I've never replaced them. They always slide back in their place.

Cheers
      RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
      RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
      Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
      High Octane website

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
        Thats odd. I can place a roof rack in the slots. Then the clips in the slot moves inward and when the rack is removed they are pushed outwards by a spring or something. I've never replaced them. They always slide back in their place.
        The originals definitely had to be broken out - they were part of the plastic trim - I'm sure it even says that in the manual - I don't have springs on my new ones - I could probably pull these ones out as they aren't part of the plastic anymore.

Comment

The originals definitely had to be broken out - they were part of the plastic trim - I'm sure it even says that in the manual - I don't have springs on my new ones - I could probably pull these ones out as they aren't part of the plastic anymore.

I'm def. going to check that out on my car. Really strange. Let you know
          RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
          RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
          Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
          High Octane website

Comment

I think mine has plastic bits but set into the metal gutter, I will check and try Halfords.
            Two bars is fine

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I am daft, they're not in the gutter at all.. I can see where the bits pop in (or out) of the plastic trim, can't see how to do it without making a mess though..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

You hit the centre bit with a screwdriver to snap them in half - that also pops out each end - then you pull them out - great engineering that one!

Comment

You hit the centre bit with a screwdriver to snap them in half - that also pops out each end - then you pull them out - great engineering that one!
                  Those trims are stupid all round, £180 each when I had to get a new on after my car was broken into in 1997. A couple of young scroats broke in using a screwdriver and a washing line. They levered the rear side window out and climbed in, scratch marks everywhere...... 2K of paintwork later......

I am still after a roof rack as well. I'm going to need it soon. I am buying a house and the Mondeo must go. I can always Use Sarah's Citroen as a mobile skip.

David

Comment

Spooky, have been thinking recently that I should really get rid of my roof bars, got them with the car three years ago and I've used them....once!

They're the fellas that clip into the wee slots on the roof, adjusted by an allen key (which I may or may not stumble across..) and lockable. Just checked and I've got the key for the lock too! I amaze myself sometimes!

The label says TUV Hannover, and 'Geprufte Sicherheit', whatever that means.. There's a slot on the top which looks like it'll take an adapter of some sort. The previous owner took the car on skiing trips.

Anyhoo, I could keep them and hope that I'll use them sometime in my lifetime, or release them to a good home..! They don't seem ridiculously heavy, but I'm sure it would be a few quid to post. Mind you I'm driving down to Plymouth at the end of the month so could feasibly meet someone on way down or back.. I'm waffling now but this red wine's f***ing marvellous..
                    Irvin

'08-'0?:
                    '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
                    '01-'08:
                    '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

In fact I'm so half-cut I almost forgot to post the pics...

Oh dear, doesn't look good for an early start tomorrow...

btw, fire extinguisher not included.
                      Attached Files
                      Irvin

'08-'0?:
                      '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

...and closer... hic!
                        Attached Files
                        Irvin

'08-'0?:
                        '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

bu**er, just ordered the things from Halfords

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer

Cheers
                            I bought the roof rack from Irvin, I had a look at his gutter trim inserts and they are plastic with spring loaded centres.

Time to look in the family album. If I find anything I'll post the part number.

HTH

David

Comment

Anyone Else need roof bars??

These are on e*ay at the moment.

Coupe Roof Bars

N.C.T.S
                              Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                              S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment