Bottom pulley for my RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom pulley for my RS2

Hi, build problem with my RS2 I need a bottom pulley off an ABY or ADU engine, one that's in good nick, obviously:

RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
    RS2 - LHD on the road again
    RS2 - reduced to component parts
    RS2 Saloon replica
    A4 1.8T
    BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
    sigpic

What seems to be the problem with yours? ...Rubber bonded joint seems good...

Comment

Given what you've spent on the rest Charlie, get a new one.
      Finding a used one is pretty difficult, find a good one is going to be a challenge
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That's what I said to Will last night. Now Kit's trying to convince me to use a 3B pulley and swap over the alternator pulley so it matches. But then Will said they have a tendency to come off at high rpm which is why they changed the design. Then Kit says he knows plenty of 3Bs running 8k rpm... so I dunno. I guess I'll just have another chat with Will tomorrow and try and make a decision...
        RS2 Saloon replica
        A4 1.8T
        sigpic

Comment

Is this what I'm looking for, I've been told I'm looking at spending ÂŁ500 so this doesn't seem right:

https://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Sele...LEY&model=0001

edit: Ah, that's without the dampener so I found this but it doesn't have the ribbed pulley:

edit again: so now I find a damper on it's own, does this go with the pulley above (the first link)?

https://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Sele...PER&model=0001
          Last edited by cardcrash; 8 April 2016, 20:44.
          RS2 Saloon replica
          A4 1.8T
          sigpic

Comment

My main point's were you've done away with the aircon, have a slightly deeper intercooler and the 3B pulley will give a little more clearance as well as being a bit lighter in weight.

If your only running stock max RPM I don't see the problem.

That said you've thrown so much money at it I can see the argument for getting a new one as Alex says.

I suggested it as I have four spare 3B pulleys and your welcome to one FOC, it would get you out of a jam if you didn't want to buy a new one or manage to find a second hand item....

There's plenty of Scandinavian 3B's running 8K RPM....
            Last edited by K Simmonds; 8 April 2016, 22:31.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by cardcrash View Post
              Is this what I'm looking for, I've been told I'm looking at spending ÂŁ500 so this doesn't seem right:

edit: Ah, that's without the dampener so I found this but it doesn't have the ribbed pulley:

edit again: so now I find a damper on it's own, does this go with the pulley above (the first link)?

https://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Sele...PER&model=0001
              That's not the correct damper, at least I don't think it is, just fire the part number into Google and see what comes up

Comment

Like I said in my text it's the weekend so there'll be more user's on here who maybe able to help.

Comment

I very much appreciate your offer Kit and I'd be happy to go down that route, but I just want to hear Will out on the pros and potential pitfalls of doing this. Perhaps the Scandinavians are doing this, but perhaps their alternator belts keep flying off and they're just happy to bodge them back on and carry on as they were... I don't know... I need more input...

Anyway, Google's no help, so I've emailed Audi Tradition with the part numbers and what I've managed to find and see what they come back with. They've been quite helpful before, just such a shame trying to negotiate their disastrous website. It's like everytime I try to login it says it doesn't recognise me, so I try re-registering and it says I'm already on the system, so then I ask for a new password but that doesn't work so I have to contact customer support where they reset everything and tell me everything should be fine from now on... but I'll get to make one purchase before I'm back in AT purgatory!!
                  RS2 Saloon replica
                  A4 1.8T
                  sigpic

Comment

AT is the the least user friendly site I've ever encountered, completely useless! You have my greatest sympathy in trying to negotiate it, I've used it once and won't ever again unless I have no other option, though it looks like you maybe in just that sort of spot.

If you google the part number you'll find diagrams that show the damper you posted a link to with the associated pulley assembly and it doesn't look right to me.

Comment

I went to that audi.7zap.com website and got the part numbers from there, but the damper I found on AT doesn't match the number from 7zap. The Pulley does though.
                      RS2 Saloon replica
                      A4 1.8T
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah the pulley looks correct to me mate, pity it's not quite what your after, especially as it's only 60 Euro's.

What a bloody ball ache!

Edit. My S2's never thrown it's belt in 30K miles and I don't run it overly tight to avoid stressing the alternator bearings, in fact I've never heard of a 3B chucking it's belt off under normal conditions.

As it happens the only occasion I've heard of an S2 throwing it's alternator belt of was recently on Rusty's ABY....

I do get Will's point that it would be best to keep the belt set up stock but don't see any reason why a 3B pulley couldn't be used if sticking with stock RPM...
                        Last edited by K Simmonds; 8 April 2016, 22:07.

Comment

Well I emailed AT essentially asking if they have the damper that goes with that pulley or an all-in-one part.
                          RS2 Saloon replica
                          A4 1.8T
                          sigpic

Comment

Audi switched to a multi-vee belt in order to drive a more powerful alternator. The single V-belt can't really transmit enough torque to drive the 120A alternator, the belts slip unless you bollock them up to oblivion.
                            You will need to drop down to a 90A or 100A unit with the 3B pulley...... not that you will find it any easier to find a good 3B one either!

The RS2 damper is 034105251M
                            It fits together with the pulley section you linked to, to form the pulley / vibration damper assembly
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              Audi switched to a multi-vee belt in order to drive a more powerful alternator. The single V-belt can't really transmit enough torque to drive the 120A alternator, the belts slip unless you bollock them up to oblivion.
                              You will need to drop down to a 90A or 100A unit with the 3B pulley...... not that you will find it any easier to find a good 3B one either!

The RS2 damper is 034105251M
                              It fits together with the pulley section you linked to, to form the pulley / vibration damper assembly
                              That explanation makes way more sense to me, thank you for clarifying it Alex,

Oh well, if you have to downgrade the alternator to make a 3B pulley work then you really should stick with the original set up.

Anyone need a 3B damper? Only joking I'd actually rather keep at least two as spares for my S2,
                              Last edited by K Simmonds; 8 April 2016, 22:33.

Comment

Working...
                              X