Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecumaster emu classic vs ecumaster black

Hey lads,

i am thnking about ECU on my 5cyl stroker. Is it worth to buy a more expensive black ecu against classic? There are some more features against classic, but is it worth for our vintage cars tu use a expensive black ecu? Classic cost almost half price of black ecu...

Thanks

Tom
    Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

My experience is that you think you only need these basic features, but when you wire it up you will see that the need for more outputs and inputs in the feature is very good to have. I run Maxxecu Race on my s2 and om very glad to have all theese extra features and inputs,outputs etc already.

buy the Black Edition if you can afford it. In the long run you will not regret.

cheers

Comment

Hey Tom

my company is dealer for EMU the only big benefit is DBW and a very small inclosure.
      If you now you going to stay with stock throttlebody and IDLE controle go for the Classic

Cheers Gaiel
      Audi 100 2.3 URS4 2.2T aan

Comment

Thanks guys, i want to use bigger TB or at least stock 3B throttle body. Now its no hurry, but i want to be sure what is best price vs features...Our vintage cars havent so many electronics as a EVO 9 + or similarly cars like Evo.

Comment

Originally posted by GAIEL100Q View Post
          Hey Tom

my company is dealer for EMU the only big benefit is DBW and a very small inclosure.
          If you now you going to stay with stock throttlebody and IDLE controle go for the Classic

Cheers Gaiel
          If you are dealer, then how do you not know that EMU Classic has similar enclosure to EMU Black? The old original EMU had a big box, but this is not produced anymore for almost a year.

Tom_
          For a classic I5 there are only a couple advantages to EMU Black:
          1. EMU Black does DBW natively. So if you want to use an e-throttle in the future, I'd consider it.
          2. EMU Black has more I/O. This is actually important if you are using Auditrigger. When using Auditrigger you have only one more PWM input remaining. Normally you can use VSS input, but for example if you want to use E85 with a flex fuel sensor, then you are out of inputs, so you don't have VSS anymore. It makes things like launch control a little more difficult to set up when you don't have VSS. I've done it using some clever trickery using parametric inputs.
          3. EMU Black has native CAN. For motorsport use this can be useful if you want to use a 3rd party dash. Although Ecumasters new dashes are gorgeous, both the smaller and the larger version, as I have them in stock.
          4. EMU Black's O2 controller controls both LSU 4.2 and LSU 4.9 natively, whereas Classic does only LSU 4.2. The LSU 4.9 sensor is much more accurate and MUCH more resilient than the 4.2. If you are planning on using a bunch of launch control or antilag, there can be many good things said about the LSU 4.9's resistance to abuse.

One thing to consider is that at least ECUMaster HQ has no good base map for I5. The file I received had the timing out by 20 degrees and the IAT sensor was not working. I have solved both of those issues though.

Any my company actually is ECUMaster dealer for Estonia, Latvia and Russia. We do a fair amount of volume and know a little about the products we sell

Long story short - unless you want to run e-throttle and/or E85, there is probably no point to buy EMU Black. But on the other hand, the resale value of the ECM will be better and you can do more things with it. So if you have the money to spare - I don't see why not.

20180330_123523.jpg
          20180330_123532.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by prj; 30 March 2018, 10:41.
          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Thanks a lot prj really heplful informations. I want to use a RON 95/100 octane fuel or E85 . Is big advantage to use a e-throttle body? I drove a few cars with etb and i dont like it...Classic TB with rope is better to feel in my opinion. I dont want to map ecu myself...rather to use a very experience tuner (Karel Boura- ecumaster.cz) but i really like how those stand alone works
            Last edited by Tom_; 30 March 2018, 15:05.

Comment

There is absolutely no difference in electronic throttle and cable throttle from a driving perspective. If you didn't like the pedal mapping on e-throttle on an OEM car, nothing stops you from setting a mapping that you like. There is no difference whatsoever in "feel" or anything else.
              I'd run e-throttle simply due to the fact that you can get rid of another useless component (ISV). Pedal is plug and play from TDI.

Anyway, if you already have dealer that will be mapping your car - then ask them. Why are you posting here? It's their job to answer these questions for you.

Comment

Maybe is etb the right way. I always want to find the most informations what i can from people which using those ecus or mapped them. I know that u are "ecu guru" here. They dont want to talk with you, before u stay at his shop, with his ecu and other things on you hand... Thats why i am considering both options. I have no purple glasses that here in czech are people which want to "help" you without paying them immediately. But here is different song, lot of people want to help other people and this is what i like on this forum here...

which e tb u used mostly? From TDI VW?

Comment

Dmitri, is the Ecumaster DET3 Piggypack working well usually? May need a budget ECU mapping solution at some point...

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                  Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                  BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                  BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

DET3 is okay, but tbh I wouldn't use it for anything serious.
                    Rather go for EMU Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                      There is absolutely no difference in electronic throttle and cable throttle from a driving perspective. If you didn't like the pedal mapping on e-throttle on an OEM car, nothing stops you from setting a mapping that you like. There is no difference whatsoever in "feel" or anything else.
                      I'd run e-throttle simply due to the fact that you can get rid of another useless component (ISV). Pedal is plug and play from TDI.
                      Plus you unlock thousands of spare parts unlike expensive and hard to find older S2 throttles. You can also go larger if necessary.

For my 2c, spend the extra money now. Once you have access to functionality of standalone platform you will want to make the most of it. You will regret not having that extra capability
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                        DET3 is okay, but tbh I wouldn't use it for anything serious.
                        Rather go for EMU Classic.
                        Ok, but it would be ok for a light supercharger +100hp setup?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                        Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                        BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                        BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

It depends strongly on the stock ECU and how it acts.
                          If it has e-throttle and torque management, then probably no (ME7 and up).
                          If it is an older ECU with cable throttle, then probably yes.

Why not adjust the stock ECU map?

Comment

Guys, i think you are right, better spend more money on ECU now, than buying a better one, because of low funcionalities What about that TDI pedal? Any info? Thanks

Comment

You can fit TDi pedal box with throttle potentiometer provision, you just need to fit a 6 pin petrol throttle pot instead of 5 pin diesel pot.
                              Or you can adapt the stock pedal box to accept a bolt-on e-pedal :0
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X