Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me understand advance timing light -> trigger angle setting. MaxxECU Race.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand advance timing light -> trigger angle setting. MaxxECU Race.

Hi all,

So I'm doing the final preparations before engine start on the newly installed MaxxECU.
    One of the final check points is to figure out the trigger angle.

I locked the ignition + disabled fuel and used an advance timing light to make bottom (harmonic dampener) and top (cam sprocket) 0 marks line up.
    I had to advance the timing light 7 degrees to achieve this.

All good this far.

Now comes the question.
    Looking at the delivered AAN/ABY/ADU basic settings file from MaxxECU should I subtract 58 with 7 degrees (=51) or add 7 to 58 (=65)?
    Or do I simply replace 58 with 7 degrees?
    See included screenshot of settings page.

I'm having trouble finding this using my limited google and forum search skills.
    Any BTDT?

Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
    http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

To be honest I have never used an advance light that was very accurate and base timing needs to be set correctly.
    I find it is easier to use a static light and adjust the locked timing value in MTune until it is correct.

Ignore the cam sprocket mark.
    Remember the harmonic damper marks are NOT accurate, so you can either make a new mark by finding true TDC or use the 0 flywheel mark

HTH
    Alex
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks for your reply Error.

I did not know that function was available, that's why I got the advance timing light. 140£ in the drain then

What's wrong with cam sprocket? Too inaccurate?

Some time ago when I struggled to get the timing set correctly on motronic I could not really trust the 7A flywheel 0 either in case it comes from a car with another type of bell housing?
      I did a piston stop which I marked on the harmonic dampener with the true 0 during this time.
      When I locked the ignition to 0 and used the timing light it lined up perfectly which fooled me for a bit since I thought it was the factory marking.

Unfortunately accidentaly wiped it off during my testing so I guess I need to make a new one, with no access to harmonic dampener bolt
      Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes

Comment

OK.
        So I have now done some more tests.

If I lock ignition angle at -7deg I get the exact same results as with advancing timing light 7deg.
        Which tells me the timing light was accurate.

However, if I lock ignition angle at -3 deg I see the 0 on flywheel where it should be so I guess that is the value to use.

Do I subtract 3 from 58 or add 3 to 58?
        My gut tells me to enter 55 since I'm advancing right?

No advancing on the timing light itself was used during these tests I should mention.

Skickat från min LG-H930 via Tapatalk

Comment

If you are seeing the correct result at the flywheel at 3deg advance (from 58 BTDC ), then you should try at 61deg BTDC (58+3).

HTH
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Excellent!

Thank you so much Alex.

Skickat från min LG-H930 via Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X