The path to 400bhp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The path to 400bhp

In the future i would be looking to tune my s2 3b,I would be looking for around 400bhp. my concern would be tuning a old engine without re building and are the gearbox and clutch good for this power and torque? Ive tuned cars in the past,I had a s4 b8 with around 460bhp but Im not that clued up on these engines. Advice welcome

Gearbox is not really up to the job and the clutch will be a weakspot too....then there is the dizzy, rods could be a problem.

if you are going to go to 400 bhp, you need to open it up and prepare it...otherwise could be an expensive mistake in my view. Lots of detail on here for people that have tuned the 3b...good lick, the results if done right should be worth the colegate grin
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I would definitely want to do it right and not cut corners. Is the aby gearbox upto the job?

Comment

The first thing your want is a brake upgrade and a well made big bore exhaust system. Need to do some research on here.

Comment

Im on with looking for some porsche brakes, the car has a big bore exhaust already on. Also looking for wheels as well the list just keeps getting bigger

Comment

and the wallet will get smaller very fast. No pain no gain. So I've heard.

Comment

The 3B had a paper head gasket, that needs replacing with the later all metal type if you’re going for more power.
              If the head is off you could replace shells rings and also rods if you want lots of boost low down, stock rods are ok on an RS2 spec car up to 380 ish ( it’s torque that bends rods anyway)
              The 3B is also limited in tuning because of the dizzy, converting to five coils can be done by doing the ECU connector “pin swap” and adding a few wires so you can use either RS2 type software in the later type ECU or go aftermarket.

You also need to decide if you want the car to be nice to drive. The standard car has a lovely luxurious feel to it and with a nice stage one chipset can be fun too. If you go for lots of power and start stiffening it up and polybushing everything you’ll end up with a quick car that’s horrible and crashy on our crappy roads.

Anyway gave a read of my coupe thread!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

For more than 280hp, you need, you must change the head gasket; yes or yes.
                photobucket SUCKS
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M_GORDON View Post
                  For more than 280hp, you need, you must change the head gasket; yes or yes.
                  Paper head gasket can and will fail on standard car.
                  sigpic_________
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                    The 3B had a paper head gasket, that needs replacing with the later all metal type if you’re going for more power.
                    If the head is off you could replace shells rings and also rods if you want lots of boost low down, stock rods are ok on an RS2 spec car up to 380 ish ( it’s torque that bends rods anyway)
                    The 3B is also limited in tuning because of the dizzy, converting to five coils can be done by doing the ECU connector “pin swap” and adding a few wires so you can use either RS2 type software in the later type ECU or go aftermarket.

You also need to decide if you want the car to be nice to drive. The standard car has a lovely luxurious feel to it and with a nice stage one chipset can be fun too. If you go for lots of power and start stiffening it up and polybushing everything you’ll end up with a quick car that’s horrible and crashy on our crappy roads.

Anyway gave a read of my coupe thread!
                    thanks some good points there. I guess doing the ecu pin swap is a good place to start then i can decide which way to go from there. maybe 400bhp is too high dont want to ruin the drive of the car maybe 300 bhp might be more sensible. Is there a guide on the coil conversion? Thanks for your help people

Comment

Are you the same hilly that put an A8 4.2 V8 in a Lotus Esprit??
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

no mate not guilty. sounds a cool car tho

Comment

Originally posted by hilly82 View Post

thanks some good points there. I guess doing the ecu pin swap is a good place to start then i can decide which way to go from there. maybe 400bhp is too high dont want to ruin the drive of the car maybe 300 bhp might be more sensible. Is there a guide on the coil conversion? Thanks for your help people
                          Do a search for pin swap, you should find it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

400 is not too hard, a tuned RS2 spec car is almost there, the jump to 500 is big though, at that point you need forged rods

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Important to find out how healthy your car is, get a boost gauge on it to be sure how much it’s making.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X