DIY Mapping, I5 experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam g View Post
    Does this work well for you? so the laptop is used as the amplifier and thats it or do you use some sort of filtering/visual software.
    That's what I use as well. Works very well once you know what you are listening for.

Comment

In that knock recording, at what time was knock heard? Trying to tune my ears. Arround 50 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
        In that knock recording, at what time was knock heard? Trying to tune my ears. Arround 50 seconds?
        around 22 seconds, and again around 45 seconds.

like marbles in a coffee can.
        Marc Swanson
        Proprietor, EFI Express
        95.5 //S6 Avant
        90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
        93' //S4
        83' UrQ
        97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Good stuff I picked out that one at 45-53 seconds. Too much timing getting into boost? Cheers des

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
            Good stuff I picked out that one at 45-53 seconds. Too much timing getting into boost? Cheers des
            yep. This is a really really bad example too, what you'd classify as "runaway" detonation. event after event. I wasn't tuning, this was the base pull and the operator got carried away and did two back to back runs on a supposedly good base tune. engine was actually damaged after this.

What you are listening for is the same sound, but usually just one or two "plink!" noises in that same frequency range that is your clue to det onset.
            Marc Swanson
            Proprietor, EFI Express
            95.5 //S6 Avant
            93' //S4
            83' UrQ
            97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

When originally having my motronic mapped, at one stage I could hear the ping while driving. Mapper took 2 degrees off it and the noise disappeared. Sounds like I was lucky...

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                Stock ECU will not retard on idle no matter how hard you hammer it. There's a MAP threshold from which knock control is activated. Just thought i'd throw this in.
                Probably not too relevant to what you said.
                ok. tbh not tried this on s2. did it on corrado G60 a few times though. car quickly pulls timing.

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                  ok. tbh not tried this on s2. did it on corrado G60 a few times though. car quickly pulls timing.
                  Well, that's digifant, not Motronic
                  http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

learn something every day.

never had an issue with motronic to be honest. I went vems very early and have a big fat 0 for knock control.

Comment

Hmm, I can here a distinc new noise cut in at the 22 and 45 sec times you mentioned, but on the no-knock recording I would say I can here the same noise briefly at about 30 sec. My ears need more tuning.

Comment

the best advice I can give is to listen to your engine on a slow sweep from idle to redline in neutral. this is your 'baseline', since its highly unlikely for your engine to be detonating in this condition. your engine at full load should sound pretty much the same... you are looking for a "new sound", just like you say. something out of the ordinary. the human ear is actually very good at this.
                        Marc Swanson
                        Proprietor, EFI Express
                        95.5 //S6 Avant
                        93' //S4
                        83' UrQ
                        97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                          I prefer open road to be honest.

I don't drive on a rolling road. I prefer to either drive and log or be the passenger and tweak as I go.

ive found that air, temp and other factors such as hills and driving style affect certain parts. granted rollers allow you to set rpm etc.
                          I find the drawbacks of road mapping (apart from finding a quiet stretch) is 1: the ability to keep a steady state as already mentioned which makes it difficult to tune each cell on the timing and fuel grids individually and 2: knowing when you have reached the point when you stop making power and if you are better off tapering the boost down towards the top of the rev range. The seat of the pants can give you an idea on power but not as accurately as a rolling road.

Any tips on 2 these points.

Comment

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1...eistung-500-mV

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/7...ot-Inhalt-1-St

[__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

Originally posted by adam g View Post
                              1: the ability to keep a steady state as already mentioned which makes it difficult to tune each cell on the timing and fuel grids individually
                              While the dyno is a useful tool, attempting to tune the timing purely in steady state will usually not bring good results as well...
                              2: knowing when you have reached the point when you stop making power and if you are better off tapering the boost down towards the top of the rev range.
                              I don't find this a problem at all - you are logging the car constantly, so just make clean pulls and you can compare the time it took for the pull.
                              Once it stops decreasing you've hit that point you're speaking of.
                              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

im with prj
                                datalog the runs. thatll give you the info accurately.
                                general feel gets you a good way there.

think of it this way. when you drive about normally ie cruise, the odd blip etc you feel a problem, you see a problem. ie misfire, smoke from exhaust.

when you have done a bigger turbo you can feel the drop off easier. I find I can feel the turbo drop away and also the other side where the engine starts to run out of flow.

egt and afr dials tell you a lot and are for me easily legible up to about 470hp.

Comment

Working...
                                X