Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will heat fix this??? Problems Continued!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will heat fix this??? Problems Continued!

ok guys. For those who didnt see my last thread Ive just had a mighty job cutting my brake disk in two all in the name of removing a rounded Caliper Carrier bolt..............after following a nob cheese idea from a mate of mine (my own fault for doing it.....I know!!)

Anyway. All seemed to be good and I fitted the other sides new disks and cleaned up calipers etc back first.

Then to the other side...and I fit the disk...and the caliper carrier seems to be mighty close to catching it on thej outer edge (maybe .5mm gap!)

Ive measured the distance form these to the disk on both sides and this side is at least 1 -1.5mm further away from disk than the "good" side mounting is which ties in with almost catching the disk

Could there be anything else bent that could cause this mare?!!
    I did notice that one of the caliper slide bolts was bent right over the rubber spring bit totally trapping it....like it had had a knock at some point but??

Thoughts....and suggestions would be helpful before I do this tonight though I really dont want to have to buy a new strut/hub mount thing and fit it if I can avoid it

TIA

edit///and yes...the disk was pointed and bolted fully and correct and the hub and bearing is spot on! and the caliper carrier is straight and true also as I fitted it to the otehr side to check. I also fitted a known good disk and it was the same so the disks are fine
    Last edited by s2dude; 13 May 2006, 19:13.

Comment

I know it may seem like an expensive option but I think a hub from a breakers would be the best option in its current state since you will cause other problems if it isnt true for the brakes.

try all audi for the hub though
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

its cast so would imagine it would snap or aleast have some fracture lines? very weird

has it been heated up with oxy torch or somthing? that my have warped it

Comment

as greg said, just buy another hub from the breakers, if you try and bend it back you will work harden it, it will then crack and your caliper will fall off ripping your brake line off causing all your fluid it **** out everywhere resulting in brake failure.

I wouldnt fancy seeing those pearly white gates just yet

Comment

Originally posted by s2dude
            How does grinding the head off a bolt cause the mounting lugs to bend.
            Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
            England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

It was OK before you started and I very much doubt that you have put enough heat into it to bend anything. Start by checking the simple things ( like when you posted about your power steering pump being noisy and I came round and put a litre of fluid in it ) like are all the mating surfaces clean and clamped up correctly? You told me yesterday that the disc was clamped up, but in the picture you only have 1 nut on, this will not clamp it to the hub properly, put them all in and torque them up. Then get a DTI on the disc and check it’s running true.
              The idea was not ‘nob cheese’ it was just excecuted by one
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP
                It was OK before you started and I very much doubt that you have put enough heat into it to bend anything. Start by checking the simple things ( like when you posted about your power steering pump being noisy and I came round and put a litre of fluid in it ) like are all the mating surfaces clean and clamped up correctly? You told me yesterday that the disc was clamped up, but in the picture you only have 1 nut on, this will not clamp it to the hub properly, put them all in and torque them up. Then get a DTI on the disc and check it’s running true.
                The idea was not ‘nob cheese’ it was just excecuted by one

Andy....

Everyone has a brain fart now and then.
                yours was to suggest cutting the bolt head off
                and mine was to listen and do it

Dont try and take the ****. Of course all mating surfaces are clean
                though there is a possibility that this has been bent in a minor accident of some kind...

Also// " in the picture" is just before I took the caliper carrier off again.
                Of course it was all torqued up.
                And I have checked and the disk runs true.
                the bracket is bent. How Im not sure though

Remember....to re grind flats on the bolt like I did is FAR easier and much cleverer

note// please keep this on topic now.

Comment

@ wab

thanks for the suggestions mate

All audi it is as I dont fancy brake failure really

How easy a job is it to fit the new hub.
                  Doesnt look too bad?
                  Last edited by s2dude; 11 May 2006, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BRY
                    How does grinding the head off a bolt cause the mounting lugs to bend.

I dont think it can mate but I'm just looking for possible causes and tapping it with a deadweight to knock the de headed bolt out is the only thing I did.

I cant see how that would bend it.???

No heat involved Wab...

I think it has to have been from a previous minor accident and its not shown up because the old discs were worn down sufficiently not to flag up the problem as there was a fair gap.
                    With new discs its blatently obvious

Comment

Anyone have the Hub part number I need to ask for please???

TIA

Comment

undo drive shaft, (2man job) one to hold the hub, (two studs back in and a bar through it) and the other to undo the nut,

two stut leg bolts out,

bottom ball joint off (ball ache)

jobs a gudden!

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                          undo drive shaft, (2man job) one to hold the hub, (two studs back in and a bar through it) and the other to undo the nut,

two stut leg bolts out,

bottom ball joint off (ball ache)

jobs a gudden!
                          Cheers Wab

You make it sound easy

Could anyone post me the Etka diagram up for this part please??!

Cheers

Comment

hard bit is trying to get the caliper bracket off

Comment

ball joint is piece of pi££ ... unscrew bolt that holds it into hub and take out... with a plastic/wooden mallet hit the top of the wishbone downward, and it pops out ..hey.. then undo 3 nuts(if nessary)..

Comment

Working...
                              X