Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S2 Hub seems to be not on fully?! Hub refitment/hub removal advice please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twoqu
    If you are lucky the inner race will stay in the bearing. If you are unlucky it will still be on the hub. So will need removing from the hub with a puller.
    The main body of the bearing can then be pressed out.
    Must hub pullers are too big, their feet will not get under the inner race, you need a slim line 2 feet puller, there are 2 cutouts on the hub to allow the feet to just bite into the inner race.
    Audi obviously saw that the inner races would leave company with the outer during bearing replacement and made it a bit easier with these cutouts.

The last wheel bearing I did, about 2 weeks ago on an 20v ur (well all 4 actually), one of them took nearly 20t to shift outer race from the strut.
    Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

Originally posted by Corey
      Must hub pullers are too big, their feet will not get under the inner race, you need a slim line 2 feet puller, there are 2 cutouts on the hub to allow the feet to just bite into the inner race.
      Audi obviously saw that the inner races would leave company with the outer during bearing replacement and made it a bit easier with these cutouts.

The last wheel bearing I did, about 2 weeks ago on an 20v ur (well all 4 actually), one of them took nearly 20t to shift outer race from the strut.

Sheesh

Cheers for that info Corey...
      Slim Line 2 feet puller to get the hub off then a press to get the bearing out yes??

MMmmmmm... Now where did I leave that 20 tonne press

Ahh....may have found one at work but I'm not sure if its suitable for this job with regards to tooling sizes and surface to place the workpiece on.....(got access to a 640 tonne ursviken press and a 200 Tonne Ursviken press but these would just squash the whole caboodle as they are not the right type of press....have to see if another one I know of still works??

Any more tips Corey please?? Best way to grip the bearing casting to press the bearing out??

I've not assessed it fully yet so just looking for any info

Cheers

Comment

Hi!
        Don't need to grip the housing it will be pushed with 15t of force!
        Basically the press will have plates that seperate. The hub/carrier is placed hub down with the hub between the plates and the carrier positioned on the plates. The ram then pushes the hub out. Attention can then be turned to the bearing itself. They take a lot of force to get moving. Once the bearing is out the new one can be fitted.
        Depend on what mandrels you have but you can either push the carrier over the bearing or push the bearing into the carrier.
        The critical part is ensuring that when the hub is pushed back in that the inner race is supported so that the race doesen't move when the hub is being pressed back in or the bearing will be damaged. Again its a matter of preference. One way to do this is to put the hub on the plate, align the carrier and push down on the inner race.
        The bolt should be torqued with the vehicle on its wheels.
        Its just a matter of finding someone who knows how to do it properly rather than just shoving them in.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu
          Hi!
          Don't need to grip the housing it will be pushed with 15t of force!
          Basically the press will have plates that seperate. The hub/carrier is placed hub down with the hub between the plates and the carrier positioned on the plates. The ram then pushes the hub out. Attention can then be turned to the bearing itself. They take a lot of force to get moving. Once the bearing is out the new one can be fitted.
          Depend on what mandrels you have but you can either push the carrier over the bearing or push the bearing into the carrier.
          The critical part is ensuring that when the hub is pushed back in that the inner race is supported so that the race doesen't move when the hub is being pressed back in or the bearing will be damaged. Again its a matter of preference. One way to do this is to put the hub on the plate, align the carrier and push down on the inner race.
          The bolt should be torqued with the vehicle on its wheels.
          Its just a matter of finding someone who knows how to do it properly rather than just shoving them in.
          Yeah . Thanks mate.
          I have pressed stuff out before and know the drill re tooling etc but I am going to ask the nice friendly Press Team Leader at my current workplace to do the deed on this occasion :rock

I can see how it should press out......just hope it doesnt damage the housing when he does it tho it should be fine...
          WIll post some pics up very shortly (am) of the parts pre pressing

I have got to pop the ball joint off in the am and need to order new bolts (the 2 lower mount bolts were bad condition and were OEM never changed I think)

Comment

buy a new bearing, £30 form GSF IIRC
            Last edited by WabTheKing; 15 May 2006, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
              buy a new bearing, £30 form GSF IIRC

Thanks mate.
              Got one on order

Comment

rusty parts

i dont like the rust on the hubs ,it seems like the part have been in the saltsee for a while i does not have so rusteaten parts at home,even they are from 1984..

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                  i dont like the rust on the hubs ,it seems like the part have been in the saltsee for a while i does not have so rusteaten parts at home,even they are from 1984..

Thanks for that caterpillar

But your right....I think this car has lived on the south coast for some years of its life....
                  The underside and main conponents are in very good order without much rust but the exhaust and hubs need some TLC.....

I have decided to strip both front hubs and bearing housings off and get them shotblasted and powder coated ...... then I may do the rears...

and also obviously clean up and put new CV joint boot kits on there

Should be as good as new...hopefully

Comment

Dude you're going to be busy!
                    Did your press gang sort the hub out?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy the fish
                      Dude you're going to be busy!
                      Did your press gang sort the hub out?

Not been in to work yet ...day off so Im going to get them to sort it tomorrow I hope.....

may even whip the other side off and get them to do both while Im at it

Will update then

Comment

ok guys.
                        Heres the pics I meant to post of the Hub assembly.....

Anyone spot anything wrong here :mischeif: (a bit like spot the difference!!!)
                        The bearing seems to not be fully seated also............

Mmmm. Bit rusty!!! and NO this is not metal fragments on the splines it is the light playing tricks in this picture! All splines are perfect on visual inspection

There are no metal fragements in this pic either (its the light/grease) and this race moves and gyrates freely with no play at all

Hub Rim damage shot 1

hub Rim Chip 2

Going to get it pressed off today I hope but any suggestions or comments welcomed... Bearing/hub spins like new. Perfect order. Must be the hub or bearing is not pressed on correctly or something not visible yet

Cheers
                        Last edited by s2dude; 16 May 2006, 01:48.

Comment

Its difficult to see.
                          All I can say is that on a new bearing the inner race is flush with the outer. Looks as though that has sunk or is dished.
                          It looks (disgusting!) from the state of the components to be all OE. So likely sceanario is that vehicle has been kerbed/potholed and the driveshaft/cv has punched the bearing. Perhaps thats where the other damage has originated from. Who knows!
                          Anyway, while you are sorting it all out, clean that outer cv up, especially the teeth for the ABS.

Comment

very rusty part

the rusty parts,i willsai this hub are long gone BY A NEW one.not cheap,but this part i will never use again

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                              the rusty parts,i willsai this hub are long gone BY A NEW one.not cheap,but this part i will never use again

No.... this is nothing :mischeif:
                              You want to try living in English weather for a bit.....
                              Ive had the bearing pressed out....The damaged lip cleaned up and Ive dremelled it smooth.....

next step clean all the rust off tonight and paint it. As good as new. Its only surface rust

perfectly functional. NOt worth £200 replcing it unless there is a fitting problem

Comment

Dude those hubs are really bad.
                                I thought the reason you took them off was a fitting problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X