...a general wondering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the irony...
    Just this morning, I was hooning it up the M40 enjoying my newly-restored boost powers when, crossing the whitewash back in to lane 2, I heard a clunk from the back of the car. Didn't sound like the normal "catseye" thump.

Handling started going wooly, slowed right down, pulled off at the exit which was just there and smelled the burning rubber. Yep, right rear tyre had gone. :bash:

No sign of any nails or cuts, no sign of any tears in the sidewall, it had just lost all pressure. I had checked pressures only on Saturday and they were fine at 36 all round.

No worries I thought, just fill up with the puncture seal and get myself to the meeting I was going to, which was only 1 mile further up the road.

Only the can was completely useless. There was no gas pressure in it at all! The sealant just blebbed up the tube at about 1 mile per year, and there was no way it was going to re-inflate. Mind you, the sidewall was pretty much killed anyway from the m-way speed so it would have only been a "get me to the tyre shop" measure.

Called 118500 and they got a mobile tyre fitter out who replaced the tyre by the roadside, but at a fairly hefty premium - £180 including fitting, balancing, VAT and call-out.

Not impressed with the punctureseal at all, this was exactly what it was there for and it failed. I did everything correctly even warmed the can up on the mainfold before using it to let the latex flow

Still can't work out what the heck happened to the tyre.
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
    X