Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good brakes but soft-ish pedal & groans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good brakes but soft-ish pedal & groans.

I have been noticing recently that my brake pedal often has different levels of travel before the brakes really bite and also at times the pedal seems to requires different amounts of pressure. The actual brakes seem to be working extremely well and it is not too much of a problem.

The bomb was changed 7 months ago as were the pads, calipers, disks and brake fluid. The brakes were bleed a couple of weeks ago when I had the two front wheel bearings changed.

Yesterday just to make sure the bomb was ok I did the bomb test and got 38 pumps before it went hard.

When I drove the car later in the day the pedal felt the same but after a short time on the motorway I noticed I was getting a groan/vibration form the front o/s wheel, which would go away when the brakes where dabbed or the steering wheel turned. (just like before the wheel bearings were changed! ). The last time this happened was on my way home from the garage meet where I had drained and renewed the hydraulic fluid. I thought it was the wheel bearing.

When I got home I gave the o/s brake pads a good clean out and bled the caliper and fond a bit of air lurking on one side.

There also seems to be a bit of weeping of hydraulic fluid from the crimped metal section of the high pressure hose that leads from the hydraulic pump to the bomb. There is also a bit of weeping from the banjo bolt on the hydraulic pump that leads to the steering box.

I took the car out and all seems to be well, although it wasn't long enough to be able to judge properly.

Could the pedal issue be a master cylinder thing or servo thing? What normally happens when the master cylinder or servo starts to fail?

It may be that a bit of dirt got stuck in the pads or maybe the new wheel bearing is no good, but is it possible for pressure to build up in the system and just one caliper to start pushing the pads towards the disk by it self and cause the groan/vibration ?

Thanks ...Angus
    formally RS2 +

Hi Angus, I've had this happen a couple of times since I did my 996 conversion, you just have to clean the pads and reassemble, last time I chamfered the leading edges of the pads with a file, about 3mm, and used copperslip on the backs of the self adhesive shims where they fit to the pistons and edges where they contact the calipers, the groaning has not reappeared yet..
    Dan mentioned yesterday that he has had the same problem.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

check this their is a way to test the servo also look what they say about faulty abs senssor.
      Attached Files
      RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Thanks guys.

I will try chamfering the edges of the pads if it happens again and also try the servo tests.

So i may have changed my wheel bearings for nothing But at least that may be one thing I wont have to worry about for a while.
        formally RS2 +

Comment

whats the price of the wheel bearings for rs2 does anyone know, i seem to have a similar promlem on my 95 lhd rs2
          Cheers

Murat

Comment

Originally posted by murat
            whats the price of the wheel bearings for rs2 does anyone know, i seem to have a similar promlem on my 95 lhd rs2

Wheel bearings are quite cheap...about £35-£40 from GSF but fitting them is fairly labour intensive and needs a 20 tonne press minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by s2dude
              Wheel bearings are quite cheap...about £35-£40 from GSF but fitting them is fairly labour intensive and needs a 20 tonne press minimum.
              Do they have GSF in Turkey?
              Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
              England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by BRY
                Do they have GSF in Turkey?

ooops..didnt see that

BUT......theres always their online shop

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by murat
                  £42.75 + vat (each) from Vagparts.

If you are really + vat via a dealership for a new hub carrier - Luckily my local dealership got one for the next morning! They do come in handy sometimes even if they are a bit pricey.
                  Last edited by AAH!; 6 June 2006, 20:03.
                  formally RS2 +

Comment

Last edited by AAH!; 11 June 2006, 22:20.
                    formally RS2 +

Comment

SS

Comment

Working...
                      X