Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blinking warninglight

Hi again,
    Guys what does the blinking orange coloured break signal and beep mean every time I turn on the engine from cold? The pads in the front are almost new and the rear ones are still not worn that much, as much as visible.
    96ABY with 94tkm no mods
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Checkout the BRAKES section in the TECHNICAL chapter of S2central.net for details but this sounds like it is a faulty brake pressure accumulator (the 'bomb'). It's not unusual.

S2central.net gives guidance on how to test the bomb.

Other possibilities are a hydraulic pump which does not provide enough pressure, or simply a low level of hydraulic fluid in the system. You MUST check that the hydraulic fluid is correct - only Audi G002000 - the green liquid is correct.

If a previous owner has put traditional 'power steering fluid' in your Audi then you can say goodbye to your hydraulic pump, the bomb and maybe even some damage to the steering rack or brake servo.

In the past year I have had to change the hydraulics on three S2 owners cars with this problem - purely 'cos the wrong fluid was used.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Bu***r, I get this i think

Is it a red brake signal with an ! in the middle it happens sometimes when started from cold then goes out for whole journey

Will top up fluids first, I am sure it will be that. Not
      Ragusa Coupe gone!
      sigpic
      VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
      VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
      vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Yes,
        it goes out after six blinks and doesnt appear again during the whole journey. Ill try the fluid method. thanx again.
        Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

My 95 coupe is doing this too.... used to happen once a month ... but is slowly getting more frequent.

Again it only happens on startup for 3 beeps, then remains silent.

Mine passes the pedel pump test with flying colours.......

Comment

too scared to do the fooking pedal pump test, got a feeling I already know the result

Anyone any idea how much a "bomb" is? Martin?
            Ragusa Coupe gone!
            sigpic
            VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
            VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
            vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

There was talk on the old forum about getting a spare 'forum owned' bomb and getting it re-charged, then the knackered one comes out and goes for a re-charge for the next member etc.....

.........EDIT........ found it:

> >> http://www.pleiades.uk.com/products.html
              > >>
              > >>Pleiades
              > >>Seven Star Garage
              > >>20 Glatton Road
              > >>Sawtry
              > >>Cambs
              > >>PE28 5SY
              > >>Tel. 01487 831239

They said they charge £91 (exchange)(inc VAT) and give a 2 year guarantee. ."

Courtesy SteveH !

tick, tick, tick,

more
              Last edited by Alistair C; 5 January 2004, 19:29.

Comment

this is your hydraulics low level warning light. It could be low brake fluid, it could be a knackered bomb, or a low level of power steering fluid.

Have you noticed any whining noises from your steering on full lock?

check the levels, go on. do the Pump test for the bomb too.
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair C
                  Mine passes the pedel pump test with flying colours.......
                  Ok did I miss something? What is the pedal pump test :confused:
                  *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                  Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Originally posted by *ZenithalRavage*
                    Ok did I miss something? What is the pedal pump test :confused:
                    "The easiest test of the bomb, which requires no equipment (other than your foot) is with the engine off, and to count the number of pumps of the brake pedal that are needed to empty the bomb. This results in a 'dead' pedal which will feel rock hard with no servo assistance. A healthy bomb should require more than 30 pumps to achieve this state. A bomb performing less than ideally will require 20 pumps, but if less than 10 pumps are needed then the bomb should be replaced absolutely as soon as possible."

all from
                    www.s2central.net

Comment

I had this fault for nearly 2 years and it drove me mad but in the end i done a full fluid change on the steering and the brakes, and i have never had the fault re-occur. My bomb also passes the pedal test with about 50 pushes before it goes firm.
                      HTH
                      Graham
                      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair C
                        "The easiest test of the bomb, which requires no equipment (other than your foot) is with the engine off, and to count the number of pumps of the brake pedal that are needed to empty the bomb. This results in a 'dead' pedal which will feel rock hard with no servo assistance. A healthy bomb should require more than 30 pumps to achieve this state. A bomb performing less than ideally will require 20 pumps, but if less than 10 pumps are needed then the bomb should be replaced absolutely as soon as possible."

all from
                        www.s2central.net
                        ahhhhh that's what you mean, right, I recall I read about this once before. Does doing the test have any side effects or can I just go ahead and do it?
                        *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                        Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Working...
                        X