Uprated brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uprated brake lines

I'm planning a change back from my one piece goodridge hose to a 3 piece setup with a hardline around the strut.

PeterP suggested in the 996 post:
    replacing the softline with a goodridge hose and the S2 hardline with the RS2 versions: (partnumbers 8A0 611 721 left and 8A0 611 722 right)

Does anyone know if the RS2 (avant body pipes) will fit a coupe?

And is there any advantage in doing this? Bigger tube bore?

Lastly, will they have a different (ie not M10 x 1.0) thread?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Alistair C; 3 January 2004, 13:54.

Alastair,

I can't help with your questions, but if you do get stuck, consider making up your own out of steel braided Teflon hose. This and all the appropriate hose ends you might need are available from Speedflow and are easy to make up, or if you give them the dimensions they will make them for you.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

........looks convenient! and fairly local too

Have you experience with their products Mark? I've always preferred the thought of crimped on connectors to the screw down type....need to look into it!

Comment

Alastair,

Yep I've used their products extensively (spent a fortune with them ). If assembled correctly the screw in 200 series hose ends are excellent and will not fail you, I have used these for brake hoses and for a replacement hose from the PS pump to the brake bomb (the crimped join on the OEM hose was leaking) and this runs at Mahoosively high pressure, with no probs at all.

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

I will be using the RS2 hardlines when I fit my brake upgrade (when goodridge get round to sending me some hoses )

The standard S2 setup is flexi-->hardline-->flexi-->calliper

on the RS2 the the hardline goes straight into the calliper so there is no second flexi hose.

The diameters and fixings are all the same as far as I can tell.

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't fit straight onto a coupe.

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

the RS2 option sounds fair enough......

but from what I can tell, the RS2 calipers have an off centre brake line socket (for a recirc fluid system?) whereas the 996 has a central socket. Looks about 20mm offset from the 996 calipers

(cheers for the pic Mike!)

(apologies for the poor 996 shot!)

I'm guessing, but if you go for RS2 lines I'd have thought you'll have to bend the line a bit otherwise you'll end up with some unwanted flexing forces.....

......time to let someone else go first on this one methinks!
            Last edited by Alistair C; 3 January 2004, 13:44.

Comment

i'll let you know soon enough alistair, have the rs2 lines on order from martyn

Comment

I'm going for the goddridge hose set designed for a '97 A4 quattro. The front hoses are 10mm longer than the standard S2 ones so should give me a bit of room to play when the callipers go on.

The rear hoses are identical.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

are the hoses for the coupe the same as the avants?

Comment

I'll look into it tomorrow when I'm at work. I would imagine the rears aren't the same though as the suspension setup is different.

I found my kit by trawling ETKA for brake lines that matched my avant and checking if goodridge made a kit. If there is a VAG car that uses the same rear lines as a coupe (assuming they are different) then chances are there will be a goodridge kit that will do the job.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Ben, If you get stuck give me a shout. I had a set of hoses made to my requirements by a company called Exact engineering. The kit cost £60 for six hoses and they are identical to Goodridge hoses, ptfe lined etc.

HTH
                      Steve
                      91 Modded 3B
                      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Hi guys,
                        I've got a bit of a problem, I had to replace a brake line (left front) to pass MOT, we got part number SL2420 but it's a tad short!! When I'm at full lock steering to the right the hose is a tight as a mofo which isn't good
                        :eek2: Do I have the right part? Do any of you know if I should have a different part number.
                        Last edited by *ZenithalRavage*; 10 January 2004, 15:17.
                        *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                        Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Seems like the idiots supplied us with an ABS line instead of a brake line, this is piss
                          *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                          Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Steve, I too had 6 hoses made up in SS. They were made by black diamond. Cant recall what they cost as I used Dads trade account so i didnt have to pay for them

Brake pedal feels loads better! Well worth doing
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Has anyone got the specs for rear hoses?

M10x1.0 concave fittings both ends?
                              length?

.......might as well do the fulls set I suppose ....... cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X