Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pissed off with rear caliper!!!

What is wrong with my rear caliper?

Just went to do relatively straight forward job tonight and change the rear discs and pads.

It has turned into a bloody fiasco.

Caliper and caliper bracket removed okay. Could I wind the piston back in - could I bollocs. I have tried everything. In doing so I have ripped the dust seal and resorted to winding it OUT to find out whats wrong and dropping fluid everywhere.

Should the piston wind back in? According to Haynes it should.

I could turn it clock wise but it would not go back in....

Is it possible to over extend the piston as I have run the pads down VERY low...

I am probably going to buy a new caliper but I am annoyed that I can't sort it.

Advice welcome, including best place for replacement caliper(s)

Cheers a tired and ****** off Steve.
    Last edited by s2driveruk; 29 June 2006, 22:22. Reason: removed swear word from title
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

FatAudi 80 welcome to the club!

This situation has happened to me too. I just threw out the caliper & got a rebuilt. Rear OEM used calipers
    are so cheap. That is why I'm thinking of upgrading to something more amicable too service. I have 996's up
    front and the tiny rear disc's on these cars is obscene!

Comment

Thanks!

Looks like another trip to GSF then. (My Golf git blew its heater matrix on Friday too.) Cars are doing my head in at the moment

Cheers,

Steve
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I need a pair too pain in the *** rear callipers.
        sigpic

Comment

Can anyone confrim the best source ECP vs GSF vs VAGparts?

I have the ECP Part number:

133440751 LH
          133440761 RH

Has anyone used the GSF parts:
          65687K BRAKE CALIPER-REAR LH
          65687L BRAKE CALIPER-REAR RH

Cheers,

Steve
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic

Comment

It is possible to wind the pistons back in yes - there is a special VAG tool which you can use, or you can do as I did and use a combination of a g-clamp and a pipe wrench. However, it does sound as if there might be a bit of piston damage there, and as noted above, the rear calipers are cheap to replace and if you didn't you'll probably find it'll only go and seize up on you when you put the old one back on anyway - those rear calipers have a habit of doing that, or it'll fail the MOT on handbrake performance!
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I agree with all the above, i.e. get a fresh pair of calipers (only cost a tub or two of Meguiars ) but, I had issues in the past winding VAG rear calipers back and used a Universal puller with a good rate of success.
              Nothing feels fast for long...
              sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

unless you have the tool you need two people to wind them in, tool puts pressure on the piston while allowing it to spin, if you have a friend with a garage im sure they will have the tool

Comment

So I am not being thick then and the Haynes manual is a load of bollocs as usual!!

It says use Audi tool xyz or alternatively use a pair of circlip pliers to wind piston back in! (Showing a picture of the S2 type caliper)

Well the caliper I have requires an overhaul now. Not sure what the other side is like, but is original, so I think I will purchase a new pair fit and forget.

Thanks Guys - I thought I was losing my touch.

Cheers,

Steve
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic

Comment

According to erwin before pressing back the pistons, draw off some of the brake fluid from the reservoir, otherwise brake fluid which was used to top up the brake fluid reservior may run out and cause damage.

The special tool is 3272

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                      unless you have the tool you need two people to wind them in, tool puts pressure on the piston while allowing it to spin, if you have a friend with a garage im sure they will have the tool
                      Tool only cost me £13 from GSF

FAtAudi80///
                      Just to be sure...You do have the reservoir lid unscrewed right??!!

Comment

Superceded by T10165. They've come down in price loads since I acquired mine.

Retail is around £40 + VAT

Ben
                        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2dude
                          Tool only cost me £13 from GSF

FAtAudi80///
                          Just to be sure...You do have the reservoir lid unscrewed right??!!
                          Yes, reservoir lid was off

Cheers,

Steve
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

I am changing both rear calipers this weekend.

Any advice re fitment and bleeding etc. Do I NEED to bleed the clutch etc if I am only doing the rear brakes? ( I am going to buy the gunson ezibleed...)

Cheers,

Steve
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic

Comment

Fat Audi, you needn't bleed the clutch unless you....

let the fluid come COMPLETELY out of the lines and let air in.
                              Otherwise it's a cake walk. I've done it on my ladies 90 sedan and my CQ.
                              BTW are in the States now? IF so get Bentley Manual. They are much much better than the Haynes which is a good source for loo paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X