No announcement yet.

Pissed off with rear caliper!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Steve - exactly, no you shouldn't need to bother bleeding the clutch, and it's in such a PITA position you wouldn't want to anyway...

Good plan on the EZIBLEED - go right rear, left rear, left front right front, get yourself at least 2litres of new fluid and pull through 500ml through each caliper to be sure.
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

So it's not just me feeling all the pain at the moment (and Nothelle300 comes to think of it!)...

Heh I'd offer to help but I won't have wheels this weekend good luck though! It probably overheated on the way back from GTI and died Steve..

My rear caliper hads been replaced too as it was completely ineffective - I look forward to being able to use the handbrake on anything other than a 2% gradient...

Next week.. bring it on

Cheers
      Ross
      Last edited by Ross; 2 July 2006, 07:51.
      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
        So I am not being thick then and the Haynes manual is a load of bollocs as usual!!

It says use Audi tool xyz or alternatively use a pair of circlip pliers to wind piston back in! (Showing a picture of the S2 type caliper)

Well the caliper I have requires an overhaul now. Not sure what the other side is like, but is original, so I think I will purchase a new pair fit and forget.

Thanks Guys - I thought I was losing my touch.

Cheers,

Steve
        Hi Steve,

did a rear caliper on mine a few months ago. i used this tool i bought from Halfords for abour £15. not only do you rotate the psiton, you also have to press gently, and this tool allows you to do this.
        Also, i searched the calipers from gsf and europartas but couldnt be certain they had the same piston diameter as was meant for the S2. better off keeping with getting original caliper from audi. (you are still mr OEM arent u? )
        I paid in total about £125 for the caliper and VAT. you get about £30 refund when you hand in the worn caliper, good value i reckon??

p.s, i also used the eazybleed kit, but be very careful not to use too high a pressure as it tends to blow out the reservoir. i stuck with about 8 psi from the spare tyre, as when i went for the recommended 20psi the reservoir looked close to popping open.lol
        Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Brian,

However Mr OEM has gone for Eurocarparts calipers!

133440751 LH £78 each + VAT (£25 surcharge for exchange)
          133440761 RH

Which are lovely refurbished Girling OEM calipers!

I will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers,

Steev
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
            Cheers Brian,

However Mr OEM has gone for Eurocarparts calipers!

133440751 LH £78 each + VAT (£25 surcharge for exchange)
            133440761 RH

Which are lovely refurbished Girling OEM calipers!

I will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers,

Steev
            But the originals are about the same price, and you dont have the hassle of sending the calipers back in the post to get the surcharge returned . Anyway, hope you get on ok , give me a shout if you require any more help with fitting them. def get the tool from halfords thou.

Comment

I found that Laser windback tool absolutely crap. The black support broke the first time I tried to use it.

Plus the end which braces against the caliper piston has no lip so it has a habit of sliding out when pressure is applied.

The Draper version is much easier to use: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ls/vag3272.jpg
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

i used snipe nose pliers to lodge into the gaps fo pison and turned clockwise and pushed ... this wound the piston in for me ... it wasnt the smoothest of jobs.. but worked

Comment

Dito did the same on mine did the job but would of been easier with the tool,

next time........
                  93 S2 Avant Parting
                  91 URQ RR
                  02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

I got 6 about a year and a half ago from http://www.lawson-cars.co.uk/ and payed about £62 each all in
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Did you get anywhere with this one then Steve? Or still waiting on the caliper?
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Hi Ross,

The new calipers are sitting in my garage waiting to be fitted

I still haven't fixed the heater matrix in the golf yet and in between watching the football, getting depressed about it and spending the rest of the weekend landscaping the garden, I haven't had time. I think it will be a evening project for later this week...

Cheers,

Steve
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Finished!

3.5 hours last night and its all done. Bought the Gunson "Easibleed" and it was a doddle.

(I won't tell you how low the rear pads were.... )

Cheers,

Steve
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

lol

Comment

I've just done the rear pads on the S2. Last night - once the rain had eased - I sweated and bled (blood not break fluid) all over the place trying to wind back the pistons with some pliers . Not happenning . After reading the forum I went to Halfrauds and purchased the Laser tool and my god - this made it a well easy job. I will take a pick of one of the old pads, I think I got my moneys worth from it.

slightly-worn.JPG

The bad news - got to replace all the seals and covers for all the 4 corners. Some are split/on their way.

Comment

Working...
                              X