Different Brake Bomb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Brake Bomb problem

As always my avant can't seem to just have a normal problem it has to be something different.

I'm doing my Porsche brake upgrade in the next couple of weeks (the goodridge hoses finally landed today ) so I thought it best to do the pump test etc so I can change anything else while it's apart.

It passes the pump test with ease (over 50 pumps). The problem is when the engine is running and you pump the pedal 4-5 times the warning light (!) comes on and it starts beeping.

It occasional comes on when you start it from cold too. Is there a problem or am I chasing non-existent gremlins? The only thing I can think of that might be at fault is the hydraulic pump as the power steering feels very stiff when the car is fully loaded.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

I get the same problem when I pump the pedal with the engine on. I havn't tried it with the engine off though.
    I think I have a problem as every time I come to a halt after braking lightly I get wierd pinging noises - kind of like a big spring twanging.

I'm thinking of taking it to my local dealer to get the brakes sorted once and for all. I've get the ABS warning light lighting up whenever I go over 30mph.

It does stop though, but I've not got the confidence in it that I should have with Porsche brakes on the front.
    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Re: Different Brake Bomb problem

Originally posted by s2avant
      It passes the pump test with ease (over 50 pumps). The problem is when the engine is running and you pump the pedal 4-5 times the warning light (!) comes on and it starts beeping.

It occasional comes on when you start it from cold too. Is there a problem or am I chasing non-existent gremlins? The only thing I can think of that might be at fault is the hydraulic pump as the power steering feels very stiff when the car is fully loaded.

Ben
      Hey, I'm interested in this too! I just read about this fault recently. I never thought something of it and I've had it ever since I bought this baby (now 9 months), (!) on display and three beeps on every start ever. I guess I'll do the bomb test tomorrow and I don't see much chance of passing it having this error for so long. :eek2:
      *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
      Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Sounds like a servo problem. You can confirm if it's leaking by disonnecting the return hose. More than a small number of drips and it's new servo time
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Interesting - Will this servo problem cause the pedal to go soft/ further to the floor after a few quick hard presses while the engine is running?
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

If you are getting a 'pinging' noise on breaking, you have an ABS fault. I'll bet my biturbo on that!

Siena

Comment

Doug,

No - that's a brake master cylinder problem or air in the fluid.
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

If you are getting a 'pinging' noise on breaking, you have an ABS fault.
                Cheers Siena. Don't you just love this forum. This fault has been bugging me for months, but now that I know I've really only got one brake problem rather than 2, it all seems a bit less daunting. OK so I still have an ABS problem to put right, but at least I know where to start looking.
                ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                X