Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads for track and road?

Hello guys
    I have Audi 90Q with AAN engine and k24 7400 turbo. I run it with OEM S2 calipers and discs. Sometimes I'm going on race tracks, but after few laps the brakes get worse. The pads are Textar.
    So I want to ask you if I put EBC yellowstuff brakes or similar brake pads without changing discs will the brakes work better? And can I use the EBC in cold weather(about -10 degrees)?
    Thank you!

I would go ds2500 they should be very good in Road and track conditions

Comment

ds2500...great pad, just gets better with heat. If you do track days ditch the stock calipers, honestly they are terrible. Get a set of decent calipers and you will have far more confidence on the brakes and they wont fade.
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

save the cash towards an upgrade to bigger stuff.

its well worth it.

Comment

Thank you guys
          So if I put bigger brakes, the question again is: Which type pads won't fail on track days? Is enough to change with bigger discs and calipers, but with normal pads(which are textar)?

Comment

Its not problem with brakes, but with cooling brakes... I have HAWK HP on front and EBC yellow on rear, and no fading, nothing... Now i waiting for DS3000 on front... Biggest issue is to learn how to brake and have a good cooling...Of course it depends on circuit. And lot of people have oem brake fluid, which totally sucks, i am using EBC 307+...which have bigger boil temperature than OEM ones and 14 days back i was on Brno track, and works perfectly...i can went very late on brakes versus other cars and the same brake point as some Track/racing cars..
            The main difference between OEM brake pad and some track/street pad is that, that OEM pad braking power is almost same for cold/hot time(no feel difference) and racing/street pad is that difference that when they are cold, u think that they no braking at all, but when u heat them up on operating temperature, its brutal brake power and this is the difference. If you check friction coefficient, u can see the huge difference.
            Last edited by Tom_; 28 October 2017, 15:00.
            Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Thank you for reply, Tom.
              What diameter discs are yours? My car is with 16" wheels and I think that max. diameter of discs which I can put is 312/314mm.

Comment

I have 324mm now, but i had no problem with brakes on the same circuit and same car with oem small brakes 288mm and OEM pads. So i prefer good dics, DS2500/3000 pads, ebc 307+ brake fluid, brake cooling and will be ok I think that 316mm will be enough, just as i said take a good pads and brake fluid and do some better brake cooling line.
                Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

i use some 20 quid pads in my 996 gt2 6 pots. apex is the brand. i use 993 tt discs. i use normal dot 4 fluid.

car stops.

Comment

Tried a few things over the years. DS2500 are fairly old pad material but they work very well for mixed use. There's a little compromise on the road from cold and on track they do eventually fade but stopping power from warm to screaming hot is excellent, they don't make much noise. They're very popular for a reason and prices aren't too bad.

My only criticism is that pad deposits get on the discs if left outside and can lead to judder. If the car's kept in a garage then you're fine, otherwise, this can be rectified by periodically scouring the discs.

I currently have EBC blues and they're no good: grabby and noisy on the road and wooden on track. Orange may be an option but I'm likely to leave EBC in favour of DS2500s for my S2 again (996s with 314mm).

I've used yellows on the rear and they worked well, as they have on the front of my clio 172 (on track) and on my E46 BMW daily car. They're one of the best road biased pads I've tried and for the money, working well from cold and getting better with a little heat. Ultimate performance isn't as good as DS2500 but if you commute in the car, then these are worth it.

EBC reds are road only and are not suitable for track, although they will take fast road. Greens are utterly useless.

Performance Friction Z rated work well on track but are noisy on the road. Their endurance 06 pads get good reviews.

I did look at Pagid RS19 or 29 and if you've got the money, then go for it but they're twice the price of DS2500s.

Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

good stuff that andy. lots of different pad. did you cleasn the discs between pad changes or leave them and just fit them

i ran reds on the 6 pots. they were ok. not great. a bit more grippy than the 20 quidders i got in. no good when cold though.

Comment

Hawk HPS 5.0 are a nice all rounder. Decent price and stand up well to track use.
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Don't forget to change to competition brake fluid which operates at a higher temperature
                          1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                          2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                          2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

For a cheap pad that is good on the road and ok for some light track work the yellowstuff gets my vote. I have tried lots of pads and it's hard to pass up the value. Quite dusty is the compromise with yellowstuff but work ok from cold. They are not good for proper track work. You need proper pads like ds3000 or cl rc 6 etc on a heavy car on stock calipers.
                            Hawk pads work well too. The HPS is good on the road but doesn't like heat. Yellowstuff sticks heat better. Hp plus pads bite hard and take similar heat to a yellowstuff pad, but are noisy.

Ds2500 are similar to yellowstuff but more expensive.

It's all a compromise. In my urq I have CL rc8 pads. They are a full race pad but work from cold. Very impressive pads. They were 350 quid.... In my urs4 I have yellowstuff, but miss the bite of the hawk hp plus. When I use hp plus in the urs4 i prefer the quiet yellowstuff pads, so you can't win.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

I see someone is selling cl rc6 pads cheep on this forum. Get them bought!!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X