Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ringing/rubbing sound at low speed...996 brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing/rubbing sound at low speed...996 brakes?

Right, 911 callipers are on the front of the S2 now, they feel good even though I havn't tried them yet. One thing though, after a few 60-40, 40-20 on and off braking, when I pull back onto my road going 10mph a slight ringing noise can be heard. This only seems to be when I manouver the car right to left and then in straight line after this. It can be kind of felt in the transmission tunnel too, but I'm guessing that a metal on metal noise from the brakes would vibrate along much of the car? Strangely though, if I drive the car 1minute afterwards at the same manouvering speeds, the sound has gone away! Which makes me think that the expanded disk has contracted again...

But...
    Inspection of the disk shows no score marks except those left by the pads and feeling across the surface, they feel perfect (like 30mile-old disks should be!).
    The metal protusions on the inside of the calliper are still very close, even though I ground them down a mm or two, and I still think that their maybe touching the disk when it gets hot !!!! But you'd think there would be visible or feelable (is that a word?!) score marks on the disk!

So annoying, because appart from that the brakes feel great and look even better!

Phil
    ...ever since I floored you I knew that I loved you!

Check the clearance of the pins with the pads out first as the pins may not be equally spaced either side.
    As well as the discs expanding when hot any play in the wheel bearings becomes more noticeable when they are warm also.
    That's my theory anyway.
    Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
    England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Ok thanks. Will do that tomorrow. TBH it was the side that i kind of rushed when grinding the pins down..well not rushed but you know, clear? yeah... just, that'll do, lets get it on!!!

Comment

Unless its your backplate catching on the disc?

Comment

Yeah that was stupidly close too! Gave it a few taps with a rubber mallet to get it out of the way. But the noise was more of a deep resonant ringing, as if it was two parts that are kind of solid/non-moving rubbing together (ie. not a flimsy backplate) However, I'll look for score marks on it aswell tomorrow!

Comment

And then?

Comment

Originally posted by BRY
              Check the clearance of the pins with the pads out first as the pins may not be equally spaced either side.
              As well as the discs expanding when hot any play in the wheel bearings becomes more noticeable when they are warm also.
              That's my theory anyway.
              Sorry to hijack, but that's interesting. When I drove home from teh lakes last week I had a horrible droning coming from the front passenger wheel. It only started after a bout 50 miles of m'way driving. Cornering to the left with a bit of speed it would stop, straighten up and feel the weight shift back on to the side and it started again. A left foot resting onyl slightly on the brake pedal and it completely disspeared...

I've only managed to replicate it once since, again with about 20mins on the motorway. I thought brakes, but i didn't use them at all on the m-way so they should have been cold. The wheel bearing at 90mph, on the other hand... any thoughts?
              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Ross I've had the exact same symptoms with my 996 conversion, I had to take the pads out, clean it all up and copper slip the edges of the pads and carriers and reassemble, I've had no further issues even after a trackday. I think I chamfered the edges of the pads with a file while I was about it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, just reading the results of my 'wheel bearing' search and came across your post newsh - it seems that I might have to get me a tube of copper slip and hope it warms up a little! Any way of checking the bearing while I'm taking the wheel off in case it could be a factor?
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Ross- that is exactly what has been happening... and I've come to the conclusion that its not metal on metal. It must be the pads, because a quick tap on the brakes and it goes away. So Newsh, i shall be doing what you said, but will wait until i come to wash the car on boxing day, can't b bothered to jack the car up and take the wheels off again for the 4th day in a row!

Bry- would have gotten back to you sooner- only the forum has been down (as you must all know!) and I've not checked it since trying this morning!

Cheers

phil

Comment

Yes, thats it, tap the pads and it goes away, for a while..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S2 PTH
                        Ross- that is exactly what has been happening... and I've come to the conclusion that its not metal on metal. It must be the pads, because a quick tap on the brakes and it goes away. So Newsh, i shall be doing what you said, but will wait until i come to wash the car on boxing day, can't b bothered to jack the car up and take the wheels off again for the 4th day in a row!

Bry- would have gotten back to you sooner- only the forum has been down (as you must all know!) and I've not checked it since trying this morning!

Cheers

phil
                        No problem - Just interested.
                        Have you got a pic of that 90 bend on the flexi?

Comment

Oh the stuff i was talking to corey about? He accidentally sent me the hose kit for the rear! Wasn't a problem though, as I fitted it straight to the calliper and then fitted the female end to the hardline already on the car. These pictures explain what I mean...

I am going to buy the other part (which I was supposed to be getting) from corey soon to do away with the other flexi hose!

Phil

BTW- RS2 HARDLINES for sale, will sell them both for £20! still in their plastic wrapping with part number stamp! (Sorry S2Dude!)
                          Last edited by S2 PTH; 21 December 2006, 01:52. Reason: PS sentence edited

Comment

If that hose was 2.5" shorter it would do the job, wouldn't it?
                            Aren't those calipers the ones I should have bought from Goodwood?
                            How scabby are your suspension legs?

Comment

I dunno, they seem to fit nicely the length that they are, but I agree that they look like their bulging out at the side there!

Yeah sorry, their the ones! If you'd been there about 2mins earlier or I hadn't glanced at what the guy was selling they could have been yours mate!

Suprising how minging my suspension legs were tbh... its a '96 plate 86k... can't imagine what cars of double that millage must be like!!

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X