RS2 Brake Pedal - Slow Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Brake Pedal - Slow Return

I've recently had my brake servo overhauled, and I bought a new master cylinder at the same time. After I fitted the new parts I bled the brakes thorougly, on both the inner and outer bleed nipples on all calipers. The brakes work like a charm, and I can easily lock up my studded winter tyres. It's a bit difficult to really test this in the Norwegian winter. The only "issue" that I have is that the brake pedal returns slowly. The brakes release as soon I take my foot off the pedal, but the pedal itself returns slowly. I'll guess that it takes around a second for the pedal to return fully.

If I pump the pedal a bit a couple of times before i hit the anchors, the problem seems to go away for a little while. I've also replaced the bomb a couple months ago.

It sounds like you need to bleed the brakes, again....

Comment

Originally posted by afen View Post
      The brakes release as soon I take my foot off the pedal, but the pedal itself returns slowly. I'll guess that it takes around a second for the pedal to return fully.
      Perhaps the pivot point for the brake pedal needs some attention, i.e. lubrication, or your over center spring has taken a winter holiday at its hytta in the Rondane.

Have a look at this post (done for an AAN but should work for an RS2):

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/172721.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

check the bolt that goes through the pedAL is the proper one and not overly tight.

Comment

Pedal should have a clevis pin & clip not a bolt
          There is no over centre spring on the brake pedal, but check the return spring is installed correctly & doing it's job.
          It should be hooked in the small hole on the servo clevis. Maybe this pic showing the pedal & spring will help? (RHD TDi pedal cluster of course)

If the above are as they should be then my guess would be that the servo is faulty. Check is is not leaking internally by removing the fluid return line from the top, and see if there is fluid passing there (there should inly be a drop or so according to the factory manual).

HTH
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

ah yes good call. clutch has a bolt of sorts. id go for the spring has slipped to wrong spot.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've bled the brakes thorougly again after making this thread, but the pedal feel is the same. The brakes work great, but the pedal returns slowly.

I've double checked the return spring, and it's in the right place. The servo has been refurbished, and there's no leak when I remove the return line.

I'm beginning to suspect the PAS pump, as it's the only thing I haven't replaced in the system.

Comment

Working...
              X