Rear wheels locking up on the coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheels locking up on the coupe

hi all iv come across a problem on the rear of the s2.

so under heavy braking the rear of the coupe locks up. It’s a absolute night mare on the track and not very nice in the wet.

i started with the standard rears and it was bad on them. Went to vented 300mm rears and it’s just has bad.

iv tried it with the abs on and the abs off. With the abs on it just hampers the rest of the braking.

If I put weight in the rear it makes it a bit better. But not a hide difference.

im running coilovers but was just has bad when it was on it original suspension. Any help would be nice

Fit an adjustable pressure regulator to adjust the bias - reduce rear line pressure.
    This is why there is no point in fitting monster rear brakes with multi-pot callipers on the rear of these cars
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

When I first got my car, what helped a lot was fitting a stiffer rear roll bar on the car and (optional) stiffer front roll bar. ABS off is a big no no especially on turn in you will lock the rear wheels instantly under anything more than light to medium braking.
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by flat out 90 View Post
        hi all iv come across a problem on the rear of the s2.

so under heavy braking the rear of the coupe locks up. It’s a absolute night mare on the track and not very nice in the wet.

i started with the standard rears and it was bad on them. Went to vented 300mm rears and it’s just has bad.

iv tried it with the abs on and the abs off. With the abs on it just hampers the rest of the braking.

If I put weight in the rear it makes it a bit better. But not a hide difference.

im running coilovers but was just has bad when it was on it original suspension. Any help would be nice
        Usually brake biasing valve would help. Or just fit 4 pots on back as well this should balance it out I did this on my s2 coupe worked great and no biasing valve needed but at the time I was using Porsche Cayenne 17zl/zr 6 pots up front but I believe It works just as good with Porsche Boxster fronts and backs. Also it use to squat when I put brake pedal down not lock up which I believe is what your experiencing. All best Michael

Comment

Early and late valves are different; I fitted an earlier valve to my ABY to keep it all stock but reduce rear bias.

if you do fit an aftermarket bias valve, it needs to be before the ABS pump.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Early and late valves are different; I fitted an earlier valve to my ABY to keep it all stock but reduce rear bias.

if you do fit an aftermarket bias valve, it needs to be before the ABS pump.
            Is it a aby one that I need or a 3b one I need

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
              When I first got my car, what helped a lot was fitting a stiffer rear roll bar on the car and (optional) stiffer front roll bar. ABS off is a big no no especially on turn in you will lock the rear wheels instantly under anything more than light to medium braking.
              Ye that’s what iv found iv tryed loads of different sizes

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Fit an adjustable pressure regulator to adjust the bias - reduce rear line pressure.
                This is why there is no point in fitting monster rear brakes with multi-pot callipers on the rear of these cars
                Iv got the original factory one on. I had the same problem with the standard rear brakes to. I’m not using 4 pot brakes only s4 ones one piston on vented disks.

Comment

Has any one every used a rear suspension on the later cars with the double wishbone set up.

iv got two of these valves that are set up two different ways. One with two inputs and one out put with a bleed screw in the other end and the other one has two pipes out and two pipes in.

and last of why does the Quattro use one brake line to the rear with a t on it where the front wheel drive uses two different pipes. Surly that can’t have the abs working at its most has it will take the pressure of both rear brakes instead of just the one that’s locked up.

Comment

Working...
                  X