Caliper won’t bleed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
    Could you disconnect the line from the abs block and push fluid through from caliper to completely fill the line.
    Just a thought... I would certainly try taking it out and causing abs to kick in to see if opening and ******** valves shifts any air obstruction.
    Il give it a go taking it out on the road late at night when roads are quiet.

Comment

Be careful. Does the brake work If turning wheel by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
        Be careful. Does the brake work If turning wheel by hand?
        The rears and front right work. There’s nothing on the front left.

Iv actually got a longish private road heading into my drive so will do it there out of way of other road users.

Its long enough to get to around 15mph to hit the brakes hard.

Comment

Fingers crossed

Comment

Easy does it, it will probably pull like mad to the right!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

So I tried the abs trick without any joy.

I changed the abs unit with a second hand one from eBay. Now the right hand side caliper has no fluid coming out but the left one is bleeding fine.

I’ve no idea what’s going on as the problem has swapped sides from the left caliper to the right caliper.

I took the hose off the abs unit for the right caliper but there’s no fluid coming out of the abs unit. Someone please help as I’m out of ideas now!

Comment

Are the pistons on that side pushed all the back in ? Sometimes I have problems on the bikes I do I've found pulling the piston out a 1/2 mm can help or holding it in a different orientation and try again.

Comment

Watch out for using hose clamps on the later stuff, I had a caliper on the RS4 which wouldn’t bleed, turned out the hose had been crushed flat and wouldn’t pass fluid! The caliper was second hand and came complete with the hose.
                  I can only guess that they’re steel reinforced instead of fabric.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

I replaced flexi hoses on both sides then bled the passenger side.

Tried bleeding the drivers side and again nothing. I took the hose off the abs unit and nothing came out. I started tapping on the abs unit whilst mrs was pumping and fluid started coming out - it looked all white and milky ( not sure if that’s normal). Kept pumping until the fluid became clear.

Bled the drivers side and finally the fluid started coming out.

Took it for a test drive and felt much better even though it did feel like it pulled on the left on some occasions.

Jacked the car up and tested the front 2 calipers and both were working.

Foot off the brake and noticed that the passenger side wheel was harder to turn than the drivers side. Drivers side turns freely whereas passenger side takes a little more force.

What can cause this?

Comment

Caliper stuck on because the pistons haven't slid back.

They are refurbed but did you notice if the pistons were sliding easily in and out of caliper?

I also wonder in light of all your fluid transfer issues; fluid has gone through the abs to caliper and made it work but isn't passing back through to let the fluid pressure (and the brakes) off...

Comment

I didn’t check as I thought they would be right after spending £500 on a full refurb! I might take caliper off again and check if the problem continues and re bleed it from abs unit.

The caliper is working now - when you press the brake pedal you cannot move the wheel. When you let go, the wheel turns but takes more force to turn compared to the drivers side wheel.

Comment

You wouldn't expect a refurb caliper to have problems but I had a flexi fuel pipe made up by pirtek (who should know about hoses) once upon a time and had massive over fuelling issues... The pipe was crushed and causing huge back pressure in the return line to the tank so fuel couldn't get away from the rail!

For peace of mind it might be worth double checking caliper but if you can turn that dragging wheel by hand, it can't be stuck on very much at all...

Comment

The milky froth you saw was the huge air bubble clearing.
                            Id just strip that caliper and gently lift seals ensure there is no powder coat or paint caught up. Failing that rebuild pads etc and drive it...

Comment

Took it for a drive now and both front brakes were working but it was pulling slightly to left like there was more brake pressure there.

I then broke really hard engaging the abs pump.

Car been braking straight since.

Don’t know if it will happen again - will have to keep eye out.

Comment

So I drove the car to work today.

Once again it was pulling to the left when braking and after engaging abs, it started to break straight again.

It kept doing this over and over again a few times and I had to keep engaging abs.

Also, the exclamation warning light was on permanent on the dash which has never happened before.

Brake fluid and power steering fluid levels were both fine.

Does this point to anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X