Rotor (wavy) discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotor (wavy) discs

I've noticed that the discs on the front of mine are a little warped, getting a shudder through the wheel. they are not standard discs and I'm going to change them. I'm not after a monster brake upgrade (yet ) so I'm going to get some good replacement discs.
    Has anyone used these before.......http://www.rotordiscs.com/main_page.htm
    Reason for asking is that I've got some wavy type discs on my bike and these are a really good upgrade on standard discs, just not sure if they will have the same effect on car brakes.

ps. everyone was right It's started already, the modding bug has hit and I've only had the thing a week
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Those discs are f*cking wierd? To me I'd worry that they'd crack/break/warp under heavy braking, they just don't look right?!

What discs do you have at the moment if they're non-standard anyway?
    I think you can get grooved Zimmmerman discs from GSF for pretty much not much money?

What are your pads like?
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I have a set of wavy discs on my suzuki gsxr 1000 and I thought the same, warping, breaking up etc, but they really are the donkey's danglies when it comes for direct replacement discs and sooo much better at the job.
      It is the same parent company that made my bike discs (blueflame) so I may just get in touch and see what they have to say.
      The discs on the car are gsoss drilled ones, but I've no idea what make (have trawlled through all the reciepts I got with the car but to no avail)
      Brake pads have about 50% wear on them, and again I don't know what make they are.
      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Personally I'd steer clear - its just a max power type thing.....

They also make your brakes look smaller (the OD has to stay the same) and they are aleady small enough as standard.
        Also reduces the mass of the disk - which has the positive effect of reducing the cars unspurng mass but the definate downside is that they'd be less able to cope with heat soak making them more prone to warping......

Don't forget - common consensus here is that you want the biggest diameter and the thickest disks........

leave the rotor disks for the saxo brigade!

Comment

Most brake judder is not caused by warping, in fact warped discs are very rare. The judder is usually caused by brake pad material burnt onto the discs by braking hard down to a stop and then sitting with your foot on the brake, the pad material can actually migrate into the cast iron of the disc. In all but the worst cases the discs can be revived by braking HARD a few times from say 80 - 100mph down to 10 or 20mph and then speeding up again, this has certainly worked on for me quite a few times. when I got my S2 it had a shocking judder which was cured by this method. Of course there's also the rusty patches that can appear on the discs when the car has been laid up for a while.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Here ya go!

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks chaps
              Will give them a miss and try a new set of decent pads, oh and Ill run them in the correct way too
              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Good article that.

Comment

Yeah nice one Newsh
                  Certainly opened my eyes
                  2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

If you want to get non-stock brake pads, you'd do worse than to try EBCs.

Comment

Alistair_C you are right, the review on the web site was from Fast Car giving them a 10 / daddy rating! worth steering clear of.

As Dan said it is a good article.

Paul don't talk to Dan as he will corrupt you with stories of his new found Porsche braking power!!

Mod 1 brakes etc. etc. etc.

David

Comment

I fitted the Zimmerman X-Drilled / vented discs and fast road pagid pads on my car and i think they're fine for what they are... and the price i got them for... FREE lol
                        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Don't suppose you could get me a set for free
                          Na.... Didn't think so
                          Seriously though, this is probaby the route I will take for now. Have just had wheel off and measure the cap between disc and strut leg whilst turning the disc and it's out by 3mm, so maybe the discs are a little warped.
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                            Paul don't talk to Dan as he will corrupt you with stories of his new found Porsche braking power!!David

Comment

Working...
                            X