RS2 Brakes - Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nothctap View Post
    In that case I'll get them from Porsche.

Do I need the 36mm or 44mm ones for stock RS2 front brakes?
    you need 4 of each of the different ones, 2x44 and 2x36mm in each front caliper.
    2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-line____2003 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro____1994 Audi RS2 2,2T Avant____Audi Quattro Experience____Audi Sportscar Experience
    Protected movement - with quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Skaala View Post
      you need 4 of each of the different ones, 2x44 and 2x36mm in each front caliper.
      Ah I see, it all makes sense now. Thanks I'll order them from that link you gave me!

Comment

These arrived in the post today and I was expecting something vaguely resembling a brake pad type shape. The one's I've got are round with a sprocket type thing on them, is this the correct part?

Comment

Originally posted by nothctap View Post
          These arrived in the post today and I was expecting something vaguely resembling a brake pad type shape. The one's I've got are round with a sprocket type thing on them, is this the correct part?
          hehe, yep, they are the correct ones Round it is.
          2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-line____2003 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro____1994 Audi RS2 2,2T Avant____Audi Quattro Experience____Audi Sportscar Experience
          Protected movement - with quattro

Comment

Phew, thanks for confirming that, I was getting concerned for a minute!

Comment

Let me know if this works out. I spent ages trying to source these from porsche for the big reds with no success.
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

See my point ? Although the porsche ones will fit with one for each piston they do not have the adhesive backing which helps keep the pads away from the disc.
                Attached Files
                Alastair
                RS2

Comment

I've talked to people who have used both and they say there's no difference. If you call up your local/nearest porsche dealer he can probably answer in more detail. I've always used front ones from Audi, but I really don't think there is any difference
                  Which is a concern. Happy to be wrong on this but why recommend something you have never done ?
                  Alastair
                  RS2

Comment

Originally posted by alg View Post
                    Which is a concern. Happy to be wrong on this but why recommend something you have never done ?
                    As I have the squeeling noice from the RS2 brakes on my S2 I was investigating the options from the porsche dealer aswell.
                    I also found that the porsche-service I went to had the strange looking, single pads ( the ones I saw were WITH adhesive tape) and they had the same ones Audi uses.
                    The single type was 4 euro per piece.

I just didn't get around to buying and mounting them yet, so please let us know how easy this is....

I am hoping the single ones "clamp" themselves better in the caliperpiston and therefore prevent the vibrations that cause the squeeling noice.
                    Also as the are single pads they are not effected by dimension differences in the calipers or on the double plate.

keep us posted
                    No power, no glory!
                    S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

If they have the adhesive then worth trying & I am happy if I am wrong.
                      Alastair
                      RS2

Comment

I've just checked and the single ones as pictured in your post that I ordered DO have a sticky backing.

I'll be fitting them today so will report back. Wish me luck!

Comment

Yesterday the vibrations started again.
                          On the way back home stopped at the Porsche service station and got myself a set of these "single" vibrationpads.

Mounted them yesterday evening.
                          Testdrive was OK, but then again that was also the case for the first 500km with the previous pads.
                          So wish me luck, I hope the noise will stay away......
                          No power, no glory!

Comment

No luck, today after only 150km the squeeking sound was back.:

I don't know what to do anymore, there are a few options:
                            - go back to standard brakes --> less braking power, but working solution;
                            - go to porsche service centre have them check out the calipers --> costly and no succes guarantee;
                            - go back to old dampeningpads with grease --> needs regreasing every 5000km no real solution.

What would you do?
                            Any alternatives??

Thanks
                            No power, no glory!

Comment

Originally posted by s2carlo View Post
                              No luck, today after only 150km the squeeking sound was back.:

I don't know what to do anymore, there are a few options:
                              - go back to standard brakes --> less braking power, but working solution;
                              - go to porsche service centre have them check out the calipers --> costly and no succes guarantee;
                              - go back to old dampeningpads with grease --> needs regreasing every 5000km no real solution.

What would you do?
                              Any alternatives??

Thanks
                              If you have the older RS2 OEM caliper then get the OEM double backing plate and new pads. Is the noise when you apply the brakes or when you are off the brakes. Its important as the solution is different.
                              Alastair
                              RS2

Comment

How much corrosion under the guide plates?
                                Did you use Plastilube?
                                1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                                1994 80E Avant
                                1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Working...
                                X