MOT fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT fail?

Right please correct me if I'm wrong but a broken caliper bleed screw should not be a MOT fail so long as its not leaking. No mention of it in the MOT inspection manual other than ensuring no leaks and as it is seized in, what is the difference if its sheared or still has the other 10mm part attached? Asked 2 other people from garages who say it should not have failed. Some facts appreciated. Thanks
    In fact their suggestion of replacing the caliper is probably more dangerous as it could cause an imbalance between the old and new ones.
    1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
    2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
    2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Afaik it is not an MOT failure, i haven't tested a car for 3 years though but it wasn't a failure point then. Either have a re-test done at another station and then complain to the MOT/DOT group VOSA on 0870 6060440 or email them at Enquiries@vosa.gov.uk.
    I would advise you to keep the original failure sheet and also photograph the failure areas on the car. VOSA does state however that you should NOT have the car repaired prior to contacting them, a new test somewhere else is fine but please DO check with them as to whether this fault does add up to a failure before you complain or you may land the new testing station in the brown stuff for passing your car.
    Hope this helps.
    1999 A3 1.8T Quattro Silver
    2002 A3 1.9 TDi 130 6 speed.
    2002 TT Coupe 225
    1997 A8 2.8 Sport

www.cotswoldvehicleservices.co.uk

sigpic

Comment

I would be inclined to agree with your judgement. Looking at this reference there is no mention of damaged bleed screws. There are a couple of MOT testers on this forum who will be able to confirm this for sure.
      Last edited by Nuvo; 13 August 2008, 15:22.

Comment

I mot'd my coupe gt5s with a missing bleed nipple from the rear drum and all the car needed to go thru a test was aiming the drivers headlight so its not a fail from my experience.

Comment

I have had cars pass an MOT with snapped off bleed nipples with no mention at all.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

As per the VOSA MOT inspection standards it is not a fail, will only fail if bleed nipple is leaking.
            All Hail the mighty Quattro

Comment

im suprised they even seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by nikmay View Post
                As per the VOSA MOT inspection standards it is not a fail, will only fail if bleed nipple is leaking.
                Correct!
                As shown in the test manual previously, it would only fail if leaking- on its own it would just warrant an advisory. what exactly did the tester put down as the failure on the VT30??

Comment

Working...
                X