No announcement yet.

Breakin Up!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other good thing to say about the EBCReds by the way is a surprisingly low volume of brake dust produced...

Porsche - yes you're right an awful lot of them come with x-drilled discs. Reduced weight I guess?!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

hmm thats what i was thinking as I wrote the post lol
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Ironic though as my Porsche calipers are hugely heavy -its like they've been made from Uranium or something!
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Ha ha

We do like a bit of contraversy!!

Roo

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
            According to them, the x-drilled discs provided nothing additional in terms of brake performance, assistance in heat-dissipation or fade-resistance. As far as they were concerned, the holes would immediately get blocked with crap, and then provided no benefit.
            I've got Porsche 322mm cross drilled disks and when I had a wheel off recently I noticed that all the holes were completely blocked. I went round both front disks with a small screwdriver and unblocked them all. I'm not convinced of their advantage other than looks, but I do think they look well cool!
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
              I've got Porsche 322mm cross drilled disks and when I had a wheel off recently I noticed that all the holes were completely blocked. I went round both front disks with a small screwdriver and unblocked them all. I'm not convinced of their advantage other than looks, but I do think they look well cool!

Porsche x drilled discs, readon for. Weight saving and de gassing.

Grooves, to stop the pads from glazing.

Porsche Monoblocks heavy??? Who are you? that bloke from the Mr Muscle advert?
              They are about half the weight of stock calipers and carriers.
              Corey
              01636 822288

Comment

Not all pads 'gas' so compounds like DS2500 do not require drilled disks. Drilled holes do introduce stress raisers (regardless of cast-in, drilled or drilled&chamfered) and taking weigth out of a disk is not necessarily an advantage. They are heatsinks at the end of the day so higher mass reduces the temperature rise for a given energy transfer. Holes for show only these days with modern pad compounds IMHO. A serious track-dayer or amature racer will never chose drilled disks as they are not tolerant of serious abuse. I can't think of a current race car that uses drilled disks and they are definately not the solution for someone that drives at 10/10ths with serious fluids and pads. I have seen many poorly implemented kits which rigidly bolt the disk to bell and the ones which make the bells too stiff can cause the disk to flower prematurely or even crack from the holes.

Drilled disks look really cool but I would NEVER fit any to my car expecially for track use. If you are a person who canes his car, you would stop at grooved disks only, as there are superior pads out there which do not need any facility to de-gas the pads.

That's my 0.02 on drilled disks.
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Working...
                X