What holds the rear callipers on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What holds the rear callipers on?

I'm having a bit of a problem removing my rear callipers, they studs holding the callpiers on look like they are allankey but none of them will fit!! Think they are 8mm but it dosen't quite fit. Can some one confirm this before I start hitting it with a hammer

cheers
    mike

Thought it was 7mm...the one that's always hard to get.

Back from garage in a mo...off to check...8MM from my check.

Pick out as much of the rust as you can, WD40 in the head then gentley tap a hardened bit into the bolt head.

Last edited by Flat on my back; 30 March 2009, 13:50.
    Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Wire brush if they are rusty.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

And don't use an allen key, you will round them off inside.
        Use a good allen socket. Heat them up first if you can and use some penetrating fluid.
        I replaced all four (two each side) of mine with high tensile replacements with a hex head instead.
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

cant remember the size, but for me was a case of, using the professional driver set, which you have to generally hit in with a hammer, and impact wrench, even that was getting it hard to loosen the blots

hope that helps

Comment

Forget allen keys...even good ones...must be a hardened bit.
            Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

I think at least one of the bolts is rounded off. Any suggestions?

Comment

Nut extractors...cant think of the name...off to google.
                Carlos.

Comment

as said could try drilling it and using a , easy out, think ones i have called that, but tend be brittle and snap, if have you a welder, weld a bolt onto the head the existing bolt. the heat from welding will hopefully help loosen it

Comment

thanks for the help guys, think I might have things sorted now.
                    cheers
                    mike

Comment

Working...
                    X