No announcement yet.

A couple of 'quick' brake questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend (who may also comment this here) has 314x30 and S8 brembo calipers and they do fit under the newer 16".
    I think those S8 brembos were somekind of an option to S8 so not every S8 has those calipers.
    -

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong in my summation...

Porsche 996 or Boxster monoblock calipers with 304 x 32mm rotors and RS2 mounting brackets are the correct set-up for anybody running 16" rims with at least an offset on those rims of ET35. Right or wrong?
      304 x 32mm rotors, common place or a custom job? Do Brembo, Zimmerman or any other hat makers have this size?

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
        Porsche 996 or Boxster monoblock calipers with 304 x 32mm rotors and RS2 mounting brackets are the correct set-up for anybody running 16" rims with at least an offset on those rims of ET35. Right or wrong?
        304 x 32mm rotors, common place or a custom job? Do Brembo, Zimmerman or any other hat makers have this size?
        The 996 Carrera ( not S) use a 28 mm disk on the front. The popular conversion is:

996 front calipers ( pad location pins filed down by 1mm)
        Euro A8 disk 314 x 30mm ( Audi 5 stud) 5 x 112
        RS2 mounting brackets ( seat do the same shape caliper bracket for £12 / $20 US.

A handful of nuts and bolts and away you go. This should fit under the 16" AVUS 5 stud wheels. Some people find it doesn't fit their car or they are not happy about the clearance. I have 1.6mm gap between the caliper and the wheel at the nearest point. 993 calipers are smaller and clear a lot more easily.

304 x 32 is the 993 Carrera front disk size ( european) Audi RS2 has the same disk. 5 x 130mm.

David

Comment

David let me get this straight now....

>... The popular conversion is:

RS2 mounting brackets ( seat do the same shape caliper bracket for £12 / $20 US.<

So the 993 caliper is a better choice for clearence when using a 16" wheel?
          Seat has caliper brackets which would work just as well as RS2"s? Where can I source those? Martyn at VAG have those? I'm in the States.
          314x30 mm hats will work but you say they are from a Euro A8, I'm sure Martyn has these on hand. ( I hope? And not too costly)
          Nut's & bolts? What are we talking about here?
          The Avus rim has an ET35?

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
            >... The popular conversion is:

RS2 mounting brackets ( seat do the same shape caliper bracket for £12 / $20 US.<

So the 993 caliper is a better choice for clearence when using a 16" wheel?
            Seat has caliper brackets which would work just as well as RS2"s? Where can I source those? Martyn at VAG have those? I'm in the States.
            314x30 mm hats will work but you say they are from a Euro A8, I'm sure Martyn has these on hand. ( I hope? And not too costly)
            Nut's & bolts? What are we talking about here?
            The Avus rim has an ET35?

You can get the Euro A8 rotors from ECStuning.com...they're in the states, so shipping will not kill you. Each rotor weighed in on my scale at approx 19lbs. As far as nuts and bolts, you will need 4 porsche caliper to carrier bolts and probably new audi bolts to hold the RS2 bracket to the strut.
            But Panzerwagon, this will only work on 5 lug set up unless you redrill the rotor...but someone mentioned IIRC, that the Euro A8 rotor has 10 holes, and they are correct...mine have 10 holes. You would need to fill the holes, weld, and then redrill, which may be costly. PM me with any questions.
            Joe "NoNonsense"
            axis motorsport
            joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

ps...the 314mm rotor should clear the inside diameter of a 16" wheel...you're only issue should be the caliper and spokes of the wheels...but a spacer can cure that if you have room in the wheel arches.
              Joe "NoNonsense"
              axis motorsport
              joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

p.p.s. check out my audiworld picture poster...about the 4th pic from the bottom is the euro A8 rotor ordered from ECS. http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/users/71265.phtml

my 17" wheels actually make the rotors look small, so there's plenty of clearance between caliper and inside of the wheel.
                Joe "NoNonsense"
                axis motorsport
                joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
                  ps...the 314mm rotor should clear the inside diameter of a 16" wheel...you're only issue should be the caliper and spokes of the wheels...but a spacer can cure that if you have room in the wheel arches.
                  The 314mm euro A8 rotor should be available from your local Audi Stealer. I am running with these and custom brackets. I believe the RS2 brackets are ok for fitment but need a small washer to line up the centre line.

As posted by Mikes2 in other threads:
                  For the bracket you could use the Seat Ibiza Cupra R part which gives the same spacing as the RS2 item. Much cheaper at 18 GBP.Vagparts cannot supply it. 6KL 615 421 is the part number. I got it through a VW dealer.

I don't know if you have Seats ( car not things you sit on!) in America.

HTH

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                    The 314mm euro A8 rotor should be available from your local Audi Stealer.
                    I haven't found a dealer in the US with those rotors...only ECStuning.com and one other tuner...can't remember who though.
                    Joe "NoNonsense"
                    axis motorsport
                    joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsense
                      I haven't found a dealer in the US with those rotors...only ECStuning.com and one other tuner...can't remember who though.
                      I don't know the part number but I would have thought any Audi dealer could supply? even in the USA.

David

Comment

the disc is 441 615 301 AA

Problem in the USA is that the A8 did not use that disc. They used a 312x25mm disc.
                        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2
                          the disc is 441 615 301 AA

Problem in the USA is that the A8 did not use that disc. They used a 312x25mm disc.
                          Exactly...that's why this is really only one or two suppliers for these rotors.
                          Joe "NoNonsense"
                          axis motorsport
                          joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Working...
                          X