Hi-spec brakes are here :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-spec brakes are here :)

At last they have arrived! Phat or what!
    Trial fitted them today to see how they fit with the 5 spoke wheel. Just needed a 5mm wheel spacer and some longer wheel bolts. There aren't enough threads left IMO and i dont want the wheel falling off

Also the longer bolts supplied for the caliper carriers are of the wrong thread pitch, too coarse, so will have to get some others. But apart from that no clearance probs what so ever. Cant wait to put them on and nail the bitch up the road, after bedding in of course!

Those of you with these brakes did Hi-spec have to grind the brake pads down to fit in the caliper. I cant get both pads and the disc inside the caliper

Anyhow, here is a zip file with some pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by audiman; 26 August 2003, 20:55.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

and this one
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

and...
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

stop taking photos and go and fit them

not aware that any grinding was required - certainly they said no mods were required, although Hi-Spec fitted them so I won't be sure till pads need changing.

and as painful as it may be you will need to bed them in. Martyn advised me that the A8 discs are soft by design, and Geoff at Hi-Spec also warned me. They are easy to warp if you do not look after them early on.

I did 500+ miles before they suffered Scaletrix treatment in Milton Keynes

out of interest did they supply any shims or are they confident their brackets are now spot on?
        Jim

Comment

Nah, they came with shims. Some for the diameter and some for the offset of the caliper. How are your carriers fitted are the hispec logos facing towards the engine? How many shims have you used? What bolts did they use on your calliper carriers. They sent me some huge long bolts and some nylocks!!!!!!!!!

Where the hell do they go. But quality is spot on. on trial fitment they look the ******** behind the wheel. Cant wait to show them off this w/end at the monthly Club GTi meet. Gonna be some jealous ppl at that!!
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

What is the feedback now you have bedded them in. Are they as good as i hope? What is the stopping power like? Do they fade?

Come on tell me.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Be interesting to see how you get on with EBC reds as I think Jim and Leigh opted for Greens...

Sounds like they goofed on the right bolts for the kit as yours might be the first one done by post and they don't have the luxury of just grabbing the right ones from a supply box in the workshop

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I thinks the reds stuff are great. Previous experience with them is good. Dont work well from dead cold but then they are mad.

Yeah, my kit is the first by post. Only 3 in the country sold!! Will buy some new bolts tomorrow.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom

Mine used to look that shiny! My carriers don't have a logo on them, but then again they were the first pair ever for an S2 and they did machine them from a billet whilst I was there .

Used shims on both diameter and offset, trial and error really until it all fits right. I got Hispec to reuse the original bolts for the carrier to the hub as they were a better fit than anything they had. So no need for nylocks just 125 lbft of torque :eek2: to do them up (if I remember correctly).

My pads needed no 'adjustment' at all they just popped straight in (EBC greenstuff). I see from the first pic that there is a '30' marked on the silver section of the caliper which is correct as the disc is 30mm thick. Hispec change the size of the silver middle bits of the caliper body to suit any given thickness of disk so things should fit fine (unless there is something slightly strange about the pads?)

They took a while to break in but you won't believe the difference. Still feel strange after I've been driving my other half's Golf Turbo as the S2 doesn't have anywhere near as much servo assistance, but when you stamp on them! :eek2:

Glad they do fit behind the 5 spoke 'cause it was me and APNess who tested a 5 spoke on may car. Since we said they would fit (with a spacer) and you ordered them (first 5 spoker I believe) I was having nightmares that I got it wrong and you have trouble with them.

Anyway hope you have fun with them. Mine have been fine(apart from an annoying small squeak when you apply the brakes when crawling along in traffic). Still love the noise they make when you hit the brakes at 80+ 'groovy' if you know what I mean .

EDIT: your caliper holders look slighty modified compared to mine. Mine haven't got the machined 'web' on the back. Geoff did say he would probably make a few small mods after doing mine.

Leigh

PS Only thing about them looking so good is trying to keep them clean. Dead annoying when all those lovely shiny allen bolts go black
                  Last edited by Dr H; 26 August 2003, 22:33.
                  Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Leigh, dont suppose you can remember what the part number of the pad was can you? Was it DP2002?? That should be the correct P/N for greenstuffs. Reds are DP3002. Let me know, i'm now worried about my pads, i reckon ive bought the wrong fooking ones. Darn.

Not that worried aboutwhat they look like after a while. As long as the damn things slow the car down.

My parents 2002 Passat is heavily servo'd. The first time i come to brake in it i almost chuck myself through the windscreen. Thank god for seat belts!!
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Does it look like this either?...... Jim what are yours like?
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom

Receipt says DP2002 EBC Green Stuff.

HiSpec catalogue says pads for Monster 4 or 6 EBC Redstuff is DP3002. So looks like you have the right ones

HTH

Leigh

Comment

Wonder if the pistons aren't right back then? I cant push them any more! Maybe Hi-spec shave a few mm's off the new pads before fitment normally. I will phone them tomorrow and find out. If thats all the do then i will tie them to a piece of string and dangle them out the windows onto the road to wear them down a bit prior to fitment!!!!!!!

Cheers for your advise tonight. Its been handy. Also thanks for telling me about hi-spec, took a bit of a risk with the 5 spokes but now every 3b owner can have phat brakes and stay looking stealthy.
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I think my brackets were just plain on the back. As I say they were the first off so maybe they have refined thaem a little?

No worries on the 'advice' if you can call it that, always glad to add to the forum as I feel I take more than I give! Once I found Hispec I noticed a few guys on www.RS246.com with RS4s used them and were happy so I took the plunge and managed to get them to agree to make a kit for the S2. Glad I did

Leigh
                            Last edited by Dr H; 26 August 2003, 23:42.

Comment

Tom

Did you get the pads sorted and get to fit the brakes?

Leigh

Comment

Working...
                              X