Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Pads Would You Use ?!?

hello chaps

going to have to replace my pads very soon, what make would you lot advise ?

too many people have warned me away from ebc red stuff up front and green stuff at the back, even though i thought this would be a good set-up

any ideas and where i should get the pads

ps by the way i have been using euro car parts own pads these seem a bit soft and not enough bite.

cheers
    DAVIDP20V - 95' Polar Silver RS2 standard 315 bhp, forge diverter valve, Mark H mod and boost gauge..... and shes for sale.

Mintex M1144 is what i am using on the stock setup.....seem fine to me £95 from Demon tweaks.....Pad bites well from cold but a high copper/matallic content means that they could be pretty hard on discs.

Pagid fast roads are actually very good, quite cheap at about £50 a pair from GSF but you need to live with a ton of black brake dust...

Ensure you dont order Ferrodo DS2500 that are listed as a stock fit for the S2, they don't fit the G60 caliper (stock) which is a real PITA cos they are a great pad.

No experience of the EBC range, other use and swear by them in different calipers but not sure about stock.....Tom (audiman) used to use them, i remember them smoking gently after tanking round Castle Combe last year

HTH,
    David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

ah...noticed now that you have an Rs2.....much pad options me thinks!!! no advice on those though, what you have compared wo what i run brake wise is a million miles apart :LOL:

Cheers,

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

[QUOTE=DAVIDP20V]hello chaps

going to have to replace my pads very soon, what make would you lot advise ?

too many people have warned me away from ebc red stuff up front and green stuff at the back, even though i thought this would be a good set-up

Don't take the red stuff upfront since they brake bad when cold; I've them fitted together with the EBC discs ( std calipers ) en they don't brake too bad when warm, but they wear out fast when using them hard. ( and they dust your rims ).

If you want to buy EBC why not try the greenstuff both front and rear?
        For allday use this would be better I think and in case of trackaction why not fit the red stuff only for this day?
        Maybe you get extra discount when buying one extra set?

Good luck
        Patrick
        completely stock S2 except for the brakes and airfilter

Comment

I had a bad experience with green stuff pads overheating the discs on my 80 sport. A slightly different application I know....
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

The EBC pads have a bad habit of the material comming off the metal plate if they get too hot.

Mintex pads eat discs and need drilled discs because they outgas - but they do brake well.

Ferrodo DS2500 are good pads - I have them - they don't outgas and were only £80 from Graham Goode. Initial cold bite is not too great but still better than other I have tried.
            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
              The EBC pads have a bad habit of the material comming off the metal plate if they get too hot.

Mintex pads eat discs and need drilled discs because they outgas - but they do brake well.

Ferrodo DS2500 are good pads - I have them - they don't outgas and were only £80 from Graham Goode. Initial cold bite is not too great but still better than other I have tried.
              I'll second that , i have them i my 996 Calipers and they stop on the spot.
              Expensive though, £80 from Grahm Goode is the cheapist price i've heard for them.

Comment

Well in defence of EBCs - I've got Reds all round on mine (with Porsche 4-pots up front) and they're fine. Very little dust at all, on the track day in Northampton they were completely fade free and were biting very very well. However yes they lack bite from cold so you have to use a bit more pedal pressure in that situation. I'm actually going to try putting Greens on the back as I'm replacing my rear discs next week so will see how I get on with Greens for a while.

Pagids I know from experience are the filthiest pads I think I've ever had: it was on my 80Sport, but they were constantly black. They did bite well, but didn't last 5mins I seem to remember, and the 80Sport was a light car.

Lee swears by the Ferrodos: they are twice the price of most of the other aftermarket pads, but quality costs I guess.

What brake fluid are you using, that's another factor to consider. I have Dot 5.1 and have had no issues with fade. Might swap to one of the "uber" fluids like ATE or Castrol SRF next time though just because I might as well - don't compromise on you brake system, it keeps you alive, that's my theory.
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

My greens make grooves on the discs and scream like hell. Don't recommend them to anyone!
                  -

Comment

For standard road use I use Textar pads (i'm running RS2 front brakes in an S2). They're only £40. They're quite dusty but work well.

For track use I've got EBC Red to fit. They're slightly more expensive at £66. From cold they are not as bad as people are suggesting. I would not use EBC Green in the RS2. The car is much too heavy and the Greens ain't up to the job.
                    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

I am using EBC Reds with the 993 Turbo calipers. They work fine but the brake squeal is horrific. I have tried all the normal tricks to get rid of the squeal but I am starting to think that it is the pads

Does anybody have a similar experience with the Reds?
                      1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                      2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                      2006 Misano Red RS4
                      2004 VW Touareg V8
                      2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                      2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Originally posted by GandalfS6
                        I am using EBC Reds with the 993 Turbo calipers. They work fine but the brake squeal is horrific. I have tried all the normal tricks to get rid of the squeal but I am starting to think that it is the pads

Mine make a little grinding noise but not a squealing noise, my pads are half gone at the moment and we'll see after this weekend. It's Nurburg time
                        I'll be driving a few laps and we'll see ...
                        Last time I tried the EBC racing brake fluid but it faded after one round and I got the warning signal on the boardcomp. I now have the DOT 5.1
                        completely stock S2 except for the brakes and airfilter

Comment

Originally posted by GandalfS6

I'm running reds in standard calipers on black diamond discs (bought the car with these fitted) and they only make a low grinding noise when cold, never heard them squeal though... Initial bite when cold isn't great, but once heated up they are fine. Get loads of dust from them though, but as I'm a real saddo and wash the car a couple of times a week, this aint a problem
                          I've heard a few people say now about squealing from the various types of Porsche calipers,,,,,I don't pretend to know anything about big brake setups so please, no one flame me here ,,,,,but don't they use some sort of antisqueal shims in them???
                          maybe thats the source of the squealing
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

I get a little squeal from my Reds up front, but it goes away with heavier braking - it's a sort of initial pad bite squeal. My anti-squeal shims are a bit corroded so they're probably not helping!
                            I've found the Reds to be much less dust-producing than any other pad I've used.

I have heard that the Greens wear discs faster than other pads- this must be because of its friction co-efficient, which is apparently very high? I presume that's why it's got a better "bite" than the Reds?

I have been very satisfied with my Reds setup anyway, and bog-standard Halfords Dot5.1 has worked fine.
                            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

@ Dan
                              Sorry for my ignorance here mate (as said before I know nothing of big brake setups ), but was just wondering if the A8 discs you use on your front setup are gross drilled and grooved?? If not, I wonder if thats maybe why mine create loads of dust and yours don't????
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Working...
                              X