• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 996 Brake noise

Just sat through a 2 hour symphony of the 996 orchestra

Click to play

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=IMG_0139.mp4

Why is it only ever the passenger side that dose this
    Wheel bearing has less than a 1000 miles on it.

Solution: I have painted everything in copper slip, except the friction faces.

Let's see how tomorrows 230 mile round trip goes.

cheers

rich
    Last edited by rj scotty; 11 January 2011, 22:25.
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Copper slips not good enough, do you have shims in? I put shims in mine and it stopped it straight away, plus try plasti-lube about £3 from euro car parts.
    Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Not sure what you mean by shims? I have the backing plates that sticks to the pads with round pots that go in the cylinders?

Was planning on going down the platilulube route but if the copper slip can see me through till the weekend ill be happy.
      sigpic

Comment

I put the shims in mine to try and stop the noise and they did f--k all and they are still noisy.
        never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

Mine did it on Textars and Redstuff but never yet on Ferodos, a good clean, chamfer the leading edges lightly and copperslip on the backs seems to sort it out though.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

i found cr*p and light corossion on the pegs the pads sit on made the pads drag and squeel. Smoothed them out, lubed them up and all ok so far - good luck sorting that out as its a pain
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I had the same problem with my passenger side, i was using Textar pads, tried copper slip, tried the blue gear, had no joy, so i moved the pads from the passengers side to the drivers side and that sorted it straight away and has been fine now for well over 8 months. Worth a try, free fix.

Comment

I have a brand new set of textar's to go in so with the plastilude and a very good clean should be sorted................I hope.
                sigpic

Comment

Mine sometimes do it when there is a build up of brake dust quick jet was and it's good for a few months, by shims I mean backing plates. I don't use any plasti-lube or copper slip with the shims in. Th shims are ment to stick to the back of the pad, they might not be sticky anymore?
                  Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Oldest problem in the book this one

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                    i found cr*p and light corossion on the pegs the pads sit on made the pads drag and squeel. Smoothed them out, lubed them up and all ok so far - good luck sorting that out as its a pain
                    This solved mine for a few months as well, rubbing some sand paper over the disc helped.
                    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee M View Post
                      The shims are ment to stick to the back of the pad, they might not be sticky anymore?
                      I have to agree with this.. if you buy new shims they come with a peel-off wax paper that exposes the black adhesive which glues the shims to the pads when installed. Although plenty of people re-use them I've read that porsche recommend to put new ones in when replacing pads - presumably because after being removed they may not have enough stick left to re-attach to the new pads.

I would have thought the copaslip and plastilube products would have the opposite affect and would stop the pads sticking to the shims even more. (?)

Comment

Well the copper slip sorted it for now, just a couple of minor tremors from the brakes today

And yes I fully agree the shims should be stuck to the back of the pad as mine are.
                        I don't replace them though at pad change just get some Araldite and stick them back on

Fingers crossed I am noise free (ish) until the end of the weekend !
                        Last edited by rj scotty; 12 January 2011, 21:16.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
                          I have to agree with this.. if you buy new shims they come with a peel-off wax paper that exposes the black adhesive which glues the shims to the pads when installed. Although plenty of people re-use them I've read that porsche recommend to put new ones in when replacing pads - presumably because after being removed they may not have enough stick left to re-attach to the new pads.

I would have thought the copaslip and plastilube products would have the opposite affect and would stop the pads sticking to the shims even more. (?)
                          Get some ultra copper to stick them back on and you don't need new ones, as per this article , I did it and they are fine.

http://www.heumann.com/bigred/index.html

Comment

Working...
                          X