Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange power steering problem?!?!

Hi everybody,

I have strange problem with my power steering. About one month ago, "!" sign appeared on check display when I start the engine, after few seconds disappeared, and everything is OK. I also noticed oil leaking on T clip numbered 15 on picture below:

I tried everything to stop bleading between hose number 14 and clip 15, but without results. I change two pipe clips, shortened the hose, but with no effect

After about 15 days, i noticed that time need to turn off the "!" sign is increased. Also, there is strange pedal movement when I start the car and pump the brake pedal, like ABS is turned on, but it disappeared after 2-3 pumps.

The biggest problem occured yesterday when I drove car for 3 hours on highway, i noticed "!" sign on the dashboard, stop the car, and there were oil leaking from bottle cap. Servo pump could be heard very loudly, as it is almost without oil. I tried to add some oil, but everything is dropped. Somehow, I returned home, and in the morning I add some oil in the bottle, start the car and everything is OK, instead of "!" sign for 10-15 seconds. I forget to mentioned that steering pump is always little noisy when I turned the wheels. Today, I also drive my car for a few hours, and the same thing happened again. It's like something is clogged into the hose, and oil is leaking from bottle cap, and steering pump is noisy, just like working without oil.

Also, sometimes I noticed that steering wheel is harder to turn left or right, but mostly everything is OK

Does anybody know what could be a problem? Power steering pump, bomb, both or something else

Thank You all in advance.

Best regards.
    Audi URquattro 4.2l, Dodge Charger 7.3l, Golf 4 TDI 4Motion

Try removing bolt 11 and blow some compressed air through it, there is a small plastic screen inside which can get blocked up with dirt. Let us know if makes any difference.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Today, new problem appeared, power steering pump doesn't work, and I saw oil leaking somewhere from pump

Does anybody know power steering pump part number for Audi S2 3B, 1991?

I have ETKA, but can't find steering pump

Comment

Did you try removing and cleaning the screen in that bolt yet?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

I just removed pump, and part number is 054 145 165 L

First I need to buy set of seals for pump, as I see in ETKA, this is part number for seals 035 198 049 A

Howewer, I'll buy new "bomb" and check all the hoses, bolts and clamps and inform you when finished the rebuild.

Does anybody know where I can buy "bomb" for reasonable amount of money?

Comment

custom autocrafts berlin.. for 125euros

Comment

Originally posted by shone190 View Post
              I have ETKA, but can't find steering pump
              It's in Group 1 (Engine, Clutch) not far from the end - illustration 19-xx or so.

Comment

Originally posted by shone190 View Post
                Today, new problem appeared, power steering pump doesn't work, and I saw oil leaking somewhere from pump.
                There is no overpressure relief valve in the front (high pressure) part of the hydraulic pump.

If there is a blockage anywhere between the pump's pistons and the bomb's overpressure overflow, the usual result is that the seals under the large cross-slot caps will pop and the pump will leak from there. As others have said, clean out the banjo bolts. The high pressure hose has a constrictor in it - make sure this is clear. The pressure relief valve can also stick and the only solution is a new 'bomb'.

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quat...ulic_pump.html

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                  custom autocrafts berlin.. for 125euros
                  actually Paul is in Luxembourg, Vianden to be exact.

Comment

although i seem to be having problems with the brakes only, and not the steering, on my issue i get pulsing of the brake pedal after a few presses on the brake, with the engine idling. With the engine off, i have around 5-7 pedals until i loose pressure. I have changed 3 bombs already, 1 servo, 1 pump, 1 master cylinder, fully renewed brake calipers, discs, pads, brake fluid bleeding (x3) and checked the hose from the pump to the bomb which seems to be opened. This pressure hose was changed 1 year ago as well and its supposed to be new.

I removed the mesh from both bolts which had some small improvement, but it did it again. I now resolved in widening the bolt's restrictor enough to allow pressure to build on the brake system, and wait until i switch to a vaccum servo system. I'll also mention that after all these parts and a lot of $$$ down the drain, i have no leaks anywhere but still no luck in fixing the system.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                      actually Paul is in Luxembourg, Vianden to be exact.
                      And?

Euros is euros. There are no borders within the EU.

Comment

Custom Autocraft doesn't have bomb at the moment, and he won't have it for about 2/3 months

In the meantime I decided to disassemble the entire power steering system. I check all seals on steering pump and everything looks ok. I opened the pump, washed all seals and other parts and back them together. Pump looks ok for now. After that I check and washed all hoses and saw that there is a little congestion on one bolt. Everything else seems ok, but at the end I saw main reason for oil leaking at T clip number 15. There is little crack on T clip, enough for leaking on big oil pressure.

Tommorow I'll go to my neighbor to buy AAN ECU for future 3B-AAN ignition conversion and to buy one hose, if he has. I hope that my system and all problems were caused by broken T clip, but I won't know until all system will be assembled again, hope so it will be tommorow

By the way I installed boost gauge today, but it's for another topic

Comment

Fractionally off topic -

Good luck sorting the problem, but just wanted to say your photos in the thread are excellent and the way they open up on the screen so quickly is very good / handy / impressive.

Kind regards.

Comment

Pipe

Hi Does anyone know the sizes of the pipe #14 on the above reference diagram?

e.g. Internal/external diameters and length.
                            Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X