ABS light staying on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS light staying on

After tooling about tonight on a mapping session with Mihnea and Greg onboard, the ABS light has come on and stayed on after a few bouts of heavy braking. I have an early ABY, and unfortunately the ABS can not be fault diagnosed with VAGCOM, which is a bit of a p!sser.
    Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, or of a quick way of finding out without a long drawn out process of elimination?

Cheers,

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Nightmare, could be all manner of things mate. There is a way of getting the codes out of it. Does it flash or anything?? When first turning on the ignition???
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
      Nightmare, could be all manner of things mate. There is a way of getting the codes out of it. Does it flash or anything?? When first turning on the ignition???
      Dunno, I think it just comes on and stays there, I'll have to check tomorrow.
      Mark - Modded

Comment

I have some info for the early ABS systems at work, but its limited. Cant beleive yours is using the older system on the ABY. Does yours have the ABS off switch in the dash?
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I have some info for the early ABS systems at work, but its limited. Cant beleive yours is using the older system on the ABY. Does yours have the ABS off switch in the dash?
          Nope, no switch on the dash ,but we tried VAGCOM and it doesnt work, I think Mihnea said that there was a problem with 1993 cars and VAGCOM. The only thing I can think of is maybe its a sensor on on of the wheels gone???
          I definately put a lot of heat into the brakes tonight thats for sure.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

Maybe, would need to test them all with an ohm meter. Get at the connectors under the seats and under the bonnet and measure the resistance betweent the two pins of the sensors. They should be about 1k ohms. Let me know the results.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Maybe, would need to test them all with an ohm meter. Get at the connectors under the seats and under the bonnet and measure the resistance betweent the two pins of the sensors. They should be about 1k ohms. Let me know the results.
              Will do
              Mark - Modded

Comment

Could be a build up of muck on the sensors, they read the teeth on the axle and if theres a bit of corrosion it can misread.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

AFAIK - If there is no ABS cancel switch on the dash, then you have the 'type 2' ABS system which should talk to VAG-COM just fine. I've done it often. The 'type 1' ABS fitted to the 3Bs needs a special test kit from VAG that checks integrity of loom to sensors etc. I'm not aware of any other ABS system on the S2, but I notice there may be a grey area here as the family album states the 'type 2' ABS only came into production from MY94 and you have a MY93 car - so just maybe you have the latest 'type 1' system that has the ABS cancel switch deleted. Bummer as you will need the VAG1710 tester (or a clone) to do any serious diagnostics.

Check all your fuses and the security of relays under the ABS cover. Actually you might find the fault will clear if you reset the ABS controller - disconnect and reconnect the loom to the controller under the rear seat - ignition off obviously.

The bursts of heat may have cooked a wheel speed sensor if it was on the way out. As Tom says - a quick check with a DVM should let you compare all four of those.

Try this link for info and background - http://www.s2central.net/abs_01.html

Hows the car running now BTW ?

Paul
                  Last edited by S2central.net; 20 September 2004, 09:39. Reason: More Info
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Also - don't forget on the ABS systems which do talk to VAG-COM - dialog only works at speeds lower than 20km/h - for safety reasons.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Finally - check Fuse 31 ...
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

I was about to say that about the fuse or perhaps could be some wire damage? Too low voltage will turn the abs off.
                        -

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas

Cheers,

Mark.
                          Mark - Modded

Comment

I seem to remember getting this very fault in my last car a 3b coupe - there was an additional in line fuse sited behind the trim beneath the dash around the relay bank region i think - replacement cured the problem
                            Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                            After tooling about tonight on a mapping session with Mihnea and Greg onboard, the ABS light has come on and stayed on after a few bouts of heavy braking. I have an early ABY, and unfortunately the ABS can not be fault diagnosed with VAGCOM, which is a bit of a p!sser.
                            Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, or of a quick way of finding out without a long drawn out process of elimination?

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                              Finally - check Fuse 31 ...

It was this, thanks again, I wish all things were this easy to fix.

Mark.
                              Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                              X