Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Porsche big red fit under 16" avus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Porsche big red fit under 16" avus?

Hi,

Its cold here and I need to change for winter wheels. My tyres are on the original 16" avus S2 wheels. I tested it on the weekend and was shocked to see that there is only about 2mm-s of clearance between the upper edge of the brake caliper and the wheel. Is it OK to fit it anyway?
    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Originally posted by horvathg
    Hi,

Its cold here and I need to change for winter wheels. My tyres are on the original 16" avus S2 wheels. I tested it on the weekend and was shocked to see that there is only about 2mm-s of clearance between the upper edge of the brake caliper and the wheel. Is it OK to fit it anyway?
    Hi Horvath, if your car wheel is bent enough to touch the caliper, you wouldn't drive with a wheel like that! the car would wobble and shake badly when you got to a high speed.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
      Hi Horvath, if your car wheel is bent enough to touch the caliper, you wouldn't drive with a wheel like that! the car would wobble and shake badly when you got to a high speed.

David
      Nobody drives with this setup?
      Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Where does it say the wheek is bent?

Comment

Originally posted by S2Roo
          Where does it say the wheek is bent?
          The wheel is OK. I just complained that at some point the brake caliper itself is very close to the wheel, I would say its about two mm. Is it to narrow?
          Gabor

Comment

The wheel is OK. I just complained that at some point the brake caliper itself is very close to the wheel, I would say its about two mm. Is it to narrow?
            2mm should be OK, but if you hit a bump and damage the wheel it will touch. Don't take much to get a 2mm bump in the wheel. I know

Comment

I e-mailed some of the big brands about this a while ago and got these responces:

AP: '3mm very minimum on inner wheel to caliper radius and spokes to caliper
              outer face'.
              Wilwood: ' looks for a minimum of .100" for proper clearance.'
              Bremsport (outlawdiscbrakes.com): 'We do recommend maintaining a min. of 0.125" to be safe.'

I know some people run brakes which are closer than these - but I've seen myself that wheels do flex a mm or so under normal use.......

Comment

My Porche 996/A8 conversion is running under 16" Avus wheels with about 2-3mm clearance, no problems so far. The area of minimum clearance is very narrow. (if that makes sense?)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

I've got a mate who's running a setup (not at Audi, but you can't have everything) with at maximum 2mm - it looks like you could just about get a credit card between caliper and rim. Works fine.

He does kinda take it easy on bumpy roads tho since the rims themselves are custom made split rims and he doesn't want to replace them!

Ck.
                  Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

I didn't describe things clearly. If the wheel touched the caliper near the mounting face a 2mm bend there would mean the wheel was very badly bent and the car would be undriveable.

2mm clearance is ok I think.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                      I didn't describe things clearly. If the wheel touched the caliper near the mounting face a 2mm bend there would mean the wheel was very badly bent and the car would be undriveable.

2mm clearance is ok I think.

David
                      Thank you for your concern guys. Another thing is that in Hungary the winter is cold and if snow and ice gathers between the inner surface of the wheel and the brake caliper than it SCRATCHES THE SHINY RED PAINT. ...
                      Gabor

Comment

Working...
                      X