Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    The handbrake pulls sideways like the URs4/6 calipers:

The mounting bolt spacing is much wider though, but still only a bracket required to fit them.

IIRC its a 43mm piston, I will check later. The caliper is much larger than the URs4/6 ones though

Alex, I would still say those are in the other direction compared to UrS calipers. Or maybe I have some trouble with my eyes.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Of course you are right sorry
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'll guess those would be possible to fit if you re-assign the cables... My left caliper has a bad handbrake mechanism, and it would have been nice to fit new calipers. But I guess I have to sensitize it to pass MOT for now.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
          I'll guess those would be possible to fit if you re-assign the cables... My left caliper has a bad handbrake mechanism, and it would have been nice to fit new calipers. But I guess I have to sensitize it to pass MOT for now.
          On the topic of cables, is there enough slack in the existing OE e-brake cable to allow moving the caliper 20.5 mm radially outwards and some distance (10 mm) away from the car centerline?
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
            On the topic of cables, is there enough slack in the existing OE e-brake cable to allow moving the caliper 20.5 mm radially outwards and some distance (10 mm) away from the car centerline?
            Well, havn't tested yet, but that shouldn't be a problem. I will inform and put som pic's soon when I get all back together and working.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Evo III, little fatter...

How the pads sitts...

Quite tight with 16" Fuchs wheels. They fit but you have to check where the balancing weights are located. On my wheels they hit the caliper.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

A tiny bit of grinding on the OE UrS4/S6 cast iron caliper would get you the required weight clearancing. How about the e-brake cable, was it long enough to get to the new caliper location.

I like the fatter EVO III brackets better than EVO II.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  How about the e-brake cable, was it long enough to get to the new caliper location.
                  Couldn't test that yet because the cables hanging on the floor... klick and klick.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                    Couldn't test that yet because the cables hanging on the floor...
                    I see/feel your pain. Ouch.

That said, with the FUCHS to caliper issue solveable, to move this rear brake project forward, you need to show that either the UrS4/S6 e-Brake caliper cable is long enough *OR* there is an easy fix (I could imagine an extender cable with male and female ends and 2 to 4 cm of cable (as needed)).

I want you to succeed at this and am trying to help.

Comment

Soon ready for testing... e-brake cable fits without issues.

(don't bother the nicely painted caliper )

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Good news. I especially like the part that the eBrake cable works without any modification. Not too sure about the pad coverage. More would be better but distance(more) x force (same) = more stopping power even with that pad (where Force = braking pressure x pad area).

Congrats

Comment

Looking good.

Pad area is a little small but I'm sure there are more comprehensive, expensive upgrades where a larger pad is used. As a budget effort, like mine too, this is a good mid point.

The discs I got were designed for small calipers and so have a narrower friction surface, thus they won't have a big lip on them like these. It might be worth looking on the apec and brembo aftermarket catalogues to see what can be found in a similar size?
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Have tested the brakes for a couple of days now. Really hard to tell how much more braking force they applies..? Need a little more driving before there are 100% contact between the pads and discs. The outer pads has only taken with half pad area, identical on both sides.

I think the diving is a little less now. In MOT test I got 1,6/1,7kN with the old brakes and later 2,0/2,0kN with these new brakes. Don't know if you can compare the results? One month between the measures, same brake dyno but different mot guy. One thing is sure, they don't apply too much power to the rear.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Give us prices... Cheers des

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Seems that it's quite difficult to get the smaller bolts(M10x1,25x20 10.9) for a reasonable price to include in the kit. So I have desided to sell these kits without the bolts. You can source the bolts from your local Audi dealer or ebay(part. number N 0199123). It's possible for me to get the longer bolts(M10x60 10.9) for a quite good price so it could be possible to include them in the kit if you want. Also my local zink coating factory have retireed, so I won't be able to zink coat the adapters. If you fit them directly they will rust, but of course you can paint them if you want.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                                X