Quick 996 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick 996 question

Has anyone had pad/disc clearance issues with the 996 calipers and 323x30 discs? Just putting the kit together atm and with the pistons fully retracted the new pads are tighter than I'd like on the disc. I'm sure this has been answered before but the search function is useless on my phone

The 996s are designed for use with 28mm discs. That is why you need to remove about 1mm of material from the pad guide pins on each side. Pads should still fit fine though, but different brands will all be slightly different. What have you fitted?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yea I've removed the material off the guide pins to allow for this, but the new Brembo pads sit slightly proud of the pins making it a tight fit.

Also the new pads didn't come with the backing plates fitted that locate inside the pistons. Are these interchangable?

Comment

I never fit the backing plates now, just a smear of copper slip on the back of the pads. I've not had groaning and squeeling issues since. You do get a rattle from the pads in the carriers though and maybe a clack the first time you use them from cold. I have heard of some people skimming a mm of friction material off but I've never had to with Ferodos.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
          I never fit the backing plates now, just a smear of copper slip on the back of the pads. I've not had groaning and squeeling issues since. You do get a rattle from the pads in the carriers though and maybe a clack the first time you use them from cold. I have heard of some people skimming a mm of friction material off but I've never had to with Ferodos.
          Cheers mate. I might just file a little of the pads to get me started.

Comment

Never had an issue but as above, it'll just be the brand of pads that are a bit thicker.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

My pads howl like hell at below 40mph if theyre warm. Ive tried without shims/with shims/with shims and coppergrease. Does any one know of any tape/adhesive i could use to stick the shim to the pad?
              Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
              03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
              01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Mine used to ring but I switched to textar brake anti squeal and been silent ever since. I use the shims but they've never been stuck to the pads. I'd double check that a pad carrier itsnt touching the disc...thermal expansion can cause issues with clearance. Other possibility is corrosion on the outer edge of the disc touching the pad retainer, again resulting in low speed noises. Hope that helps...
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Good points! Cheers bud!

Comment

Copper gasket. Works a treat and I've got some here you can use
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Ahh good thinking, i can imagine that works quite well! I may take you up on that!

Comment

Working...
                      X