red warning symbol on start up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red warning symbol on start up?

My coupe has been in the garage for a week or so. I have noticed the last couple of times i started her the red warning has gone off.
    I replaced the bomb 12 mnths ago so surely its not that.
    I can pump the brake pedal 30. Plus times before it goes hard.
    My pas fluid is on min but the float on reservoir cap is up.
    Anyone got any ideas ill top up pas fluid but if its the bomb how can you trick the warning on dash. Im nit paying 200 quid every 12 months and roughly 3k

Are the brakes bleed properly.
    I had this untill i eventually got rid of all the air in the system..

Comment

Yeah system is all spot on has been for 12 months since big brakes done and bomb done. 35 pumps of pedal until it just goes rock hard so doubt. Its bomb,??

Comment

Sometimes the float sensor sticks causing the symbol to flash for a bit. Take the top of the PAS fluid lid off and soak it in cleaner and then gently with a very soft brush give it a quick clean up so it floats freely. Be careful not to bend or damage the little nipple that sticks out of the top of the lid, it is very fragile. Mine does this sometimes so I know cleaning it works on mine for a while until it starts showing the symbol again then its time to clean the sensor again

Comment

Ill give it a whirl. When i push the nipple down it does occasionally stick but i have made sure its up when the warning goes off.
          Can you simply unplug the reservoir cap wire to rule out the cap.
          I bridged the terminals and had a permenantly flashing light.

Comment

Yeh, just unplug it. I drove round for a week with a spare cap on whilst I soaked my main one. Mine sticks sometimes too so dont worry about it. Loads of them do tbf

Comment

Ill unplug and try later. If it still goes off it either the brake fluid level sensor or the hydro pressure sensor.

Comment

Slight update. I unpkugged the power steering reservoir loom. No warning light.
                So i guess my level is a little low. I noticed when dry steering after engine dtart its a little juddery too. Ill top up tomorrow aft and try again.

Comment

Just added about 250 ml pas fluid and hey presto no bleeps.
                  Its trace the leak time now then!. Just glad its not bomb......

Comment

Glad it's worked. Check the solid pipe that runs from the pump to the bomb. It runs over top of engine

Comment

Check it for leaks? I noticed one of the pipes under bonb looks porous. That said i have never topped it up after dping bomb and the car had to step up everyday for a fortnight while i sorted a new daily

Comment

Yeh, it comes out of the loose covering and goes to a solid line and it can leak around there or where it joins the bomb.

Comment

Check the T in the line from the rack back to the reservoir, the pipes there can go porous and also the T piece can crack as it's plastic Ther other place is the cooler pipe that goes across the front of the Rad or of couse the O rings on the pump.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

It's defo from just below reservoir where the T piece is. It's next to nothing but obviously a little loss is enough to set off the alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                              Sometimes the float sensor sticks causing the symbol to flash for a bit. Take the top of the PAS fluid lid off and soak it in cleaner and then gently with a very soft brush give it a quick clean up so it floats freely. Be careful not to bend or damage the little nipple that sticks out of the top of the lid, it is very fragile. Mine does this sometimes so I know cleaning it works on mine for a while until it starts showing the symbol again then its time to clean the sensor again
                              I have this to sort out on mine, BrianSmith gave me some advice on this at ADI and its a job on the list to give it a good clean and free it up as I think that is why it comes on when I first start up, the float is a bit sticky so on initial start when fluid drawn through it goes low and then levels out
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X