Red warning ! when coming to halt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red warning ! when coming to halt?

I knew I'd have little niggles crop up over the first few 100 miles and here's one I want to sort out sooner rather than later.

When coming to a halt I randomly get the red warning '!' and associated bing crop up on the auto check, doesn't happen all the time or ever at over 10 MPH. I've done the bomb check and it's fine as is the performance of the brakes and steering, no funny noises etc. I tried unplugging the hydraulic reservoir level sender and it still does it so no joy there.

Any suggestions?
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

That's just the bomb, changing the bomb cured it for me though it wasn't necessary as brakes were fine
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I seem to recall getting this if the brake fluid is a bit low during hard cornering or braking, worth checking.
      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

I do have a good spare bomb so could give that a try, however I can do the pedal test and it takes 50+ depressions before it goes hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
          I seem to recall getting this if the brake fluid is a bit low during hard cornering or braking, worth checking.
          As you say worth checking, also I haven't tried unplugging the brake fluid level warning, will take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
            As you say worth checking, also I haven't tried unplugging the brake fluid level warning, will take a look.
            Mines been unplugged since 2006 because it constantly trips the alarm. I should sort it properly really
            sigpic
            "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
            BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
            1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
            2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

...and mine too, been disconnected for years .....

My money's on the brake fluid level switch.

John

Comment

My princess cost-alot (ABY Coupe) has started showing me the same warning light- anyone got the part number for the fluid level sensor?
                Are they still available locally (UK)?

Comment

Originally posted by Tango23 View Post
                  My princess cost-alot (ABY Coupe) has started showing me the same warning light- anyone got the part number for the fluid level sensor? Are they still available locally (UK)?
                  Try 893611377A.
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Try cleaning the cap in break cleaner first guys. The nipple becomes sticky sometimes (More so in the winter for some reason on mine) and the nipple part of the sensor stays down. Try clenaing it with break cleaner and a soft brush but becareful when brushing it as they are easy to bend as I found out once! I have done this a few times and it has sorted otu my issue for months until it gets gummed up enough to start sticking again for some reason.

Comment

Thanks guys- as soon as I have some time this weekend I will sort it.

Comment

Tried unplugging the brake fluid level switch yesterday and thought I'd solved it for a while, but no, it's still doing it but not nearly as frequently. It occurred to me that I'd plugged the hydraulic level switch back in before unplugging the brake fluid bottle so I'll try it with both disconnected today.

I'm not that hopeful though so I'm going to order a couple of bottles of fluid from TPS this morning and flush the system properly regardless of the out come of testing the level switches. I'll fit my spare bomb as well if I don't get any joy with the switches.

There's a slight weep from the large cross head plug on the pump, can't see that causing this but could I be wrong there? I've got a good spare pump.

Comment

I've had this before, and I used to just put up with it, until I had an MOT failure because of a bulging flexi brake hose. I changed the hose, bled that corner and it hasn't done it since. Maybe a coincidence? I don't know, but that's all I touched on the braking system. Maybe worth a look?
                          Cheers, Dan.
                          sigpic

Comment

The's cars just gone through an MOT and all the brake pipes are new or close to new so I'm sure it's not one of them, thanks anyway. I will try bleeding the brakes again though, only takes a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                              The's cars just gone through an MOT and all the brake pipes are new or close to new so I'm sure it's not one of them, thanks anyway. I will try bleeding the brakes again though, only takes a minute.
                              K, make sure to bleed the hydraulic line to the clutch cylinder on the gearbox, if it hasn't been done in a while, it will make the operation of your clutch better, most especially in hot weather, but still very much worth doing now though.

Also has anyone got loan of the proper factory tool for the big crosshead on the power steering pump ? Don't want to use a hammer and chisel. Can give a full cost deposit, so no risk.

Or a link to where I can buy one ?

Comment

Working...
                              X