Red warning ! when coming to halt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
    Tried unplugging the brake fluid level switch yesterday and thought I'd solved it for a while, but no, it's still doing it but not nearly as frequently. It occurred to me that I'd plugged the hydraulic level switch back in before unplugging the brake fluid bottle so I'll try it with both disconnected today.

I'm not that hopeful though so I'm going to order a couple of bottles of fluid from TPS this morning and flush the system properly regardless of the out come of testing the level switches. I'll fit my spare bomb as well if I don't get any joy with the switches.

There's a slight weep from the large cross head plug on the pump, can't see that causing this but could I be wrong there? I've got a good spare pump.
    Sort the weep soon as, I had this left it and then BOOM seal failed power steering fluid everywhere Only £5 for new cross head thingy and seal from tps

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      K, make sure to bleed the hydraulic line to the clutch cylinder on the gearbox, if it hasn't been done in a while, it will make the operation of your clutch better, most especially in hot weather, but still very much worth doing now though.

Also has anyone got loan of the proper factory tool for the big crosshead on the power steering pump ? Don't want to use a hammer and chisel. Can give a full cost deposit, so no risk.

Or a link to where I can buy one ?

I changed the clutch fluid along with the brake fluid a few weeks ago so have that covered.

I wouldn't mind a heads to where to get the proper tool for the large cross head as well, would be useful to have.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
        Sort the weep soon as, I had this left it and then BOOM seal failed power steering fluid everywhere Only £5 for new cross head thingy and seal from tps
        Didn't think TPS still did the repair kit as they call it, when did you order yours?

Changed the pump and the bomb then flushed the system this afternoon, sorted, no more annoying bing and the brakes are a touch better to boot. No more weepy pump either, guess the issue was the bomb despite it passing the pedal test.

The brake fluid level sender was part of the initial problem, but with the fluid on max it's now fine, if it's below half way between the min and max it triggers when coming to a stop.

Comment

I've got a brand new X-head plug & seal if you need one Kit
          Easy test to see if the bomb or servo are causing the warning is unplug the two spades on the pressure switch on the servo - if so it will stop the warning
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            I've got a brand new X-head plug & seal if you need one Kit
            Easy test to see if the bomb or servo are causing the warning is unplug the two spades on the pressure switch on the servo - if so it will stop the warning
            Yes please mate Let me know how much you want for it and I'll send some money over, with that I can repair my old pump to keep as a spare. I did have a go at unplugging the switch on the servo and had to abort as I feared I was going to snap a terminal off, they didn't want to move without a fight and the access is poor.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
              Didn't think TPS still did the repair kit as they call it, when did you order yours?

Changed the pump and the bomb then flushed the system this afternoon, sorted, no more annoying bing and the brakes are a touch better to boot. No more weepy pump either, guess the issue was the bomb despite it passing the pedal test.

The brake fluid level sender was part of the initial problem, but with the fluid on max it's now fine, if it's below half way between the min and max it triggers when coming to a stop.
              About a month ago, think the part number is on a thread somewhere, put in power steering pump seal might come up

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                About a month ago, think the part number is on a thread somewhere, put in power steering pump seal might come up
                Indeed, your quite right, found the number and just gave TPS a try as I needed to order some other stuff. Now back available again for a fiver + VAT, I'm sure they told me as well as Tristan it was NLA last year

Ordered a couple to keep in stock as well as revive my old pump, apart from the weep it worked perfectly.

Comment

The tool for removing the 'X' head plug is a drag link socket. Hardware store should have it or ebay http://www.core77.com/blog/tools/too..._bit_24121.asp

Comment

soak the x-plug seal overnite in PS fluid first....don't overtighten the x-plug, ....too much torque tears the seal and will weep again ( Phil Payne told me all that RIP )

I used a cold chisel with same blade width as the plug 'x' , turned with a mole grip, one hand on top of chisel , job was/is still a good one

Comment

Working...
                    X