Weird brake behaviour!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird brake behaviour!

Never had this one before. Got in the avant at lunchtime, started the car and pushed down on the brake pedal to hold it on the slope, the pedal started vibrating and went quite a long way down, brakes still seemed to be working though. Drove off up the road, only going up the shop to get a sandwich.. Went to brake and nothing at all till the pedal was half way to the floor So, spongy and vibrating pedal and delayed braking, I think I can feel the hydraulic pump in the pedal. Oh yes, after a few yards driving, I get the bing noise and red warning.

What do you reckon chaps? Bomb gone?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Had this issue and initially thought it was the bomb.

3 bombs later we changed the pump as that was leaking, for a new one, then for a known used working one and finally I ditched the system for a vacuum servo. I wish I would have done that all along as the amount spent for one bomb was equal for all the parts needed for the vacuum servo including a used 100 bar single vane power steering pump.

Nothing we did fixed the pedal issues. It was if there was no brake assistance. Just merely working on muscle.

Comment

Servo. BTDT.

If the fluid is old, change it. It's down to the seals in the servo leaking. See my servo thread for a full strip down and operation description.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Servo. BTDT.
        I think I still have mine John, was working fine when I removed it. Let me see if I can dig it out. If I've still got it, FOC to you mate
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Bu88er, OK Alex, that would be great, I'll investigate further today.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Too scary to drive so I'm back in the coupe, from what you guys are saying I'm pretty sure it must be the servo. Any news on that part Alex? Did you find it?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              Too scary to drive so I'm back in the coupe, from what you guys are saying I'm pretty sure it must be the servo. Any news on that part Alex? Did you find it?
              Yes sounds like servo to me
              RS 2 580HP

Comment

Working...
              X