RS2 brake pad change advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 brake pad change advice

Im looking at changing the front brake pads in my RS2 this weekend.
    Do I need to take the caliper off to change the pads or can I undo a pin and slide them out the rear? My brakes are standard 304mm.
    1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
    1995 Audi RS2

Originally posted by Golfboy666GTI View Post
    Im looking at changing the front brake pads in my RS2 this weekend.
    Do I need to take the caliper off to change the pads or can I undo a pin and slide them out the rear? My brakes are standard 304mm.
    You don't need to take off the caliper to change the pads.

Comment

This is simple operation
      Audi RS2 600 hp
      Audi S2 1200 hp
      MB 230E '83
      https://www.facebook.com/ventracing.lv/

Comment

Not difficult, but you will probably have anti rattle shims so you will need to remove the calipers, something to cap brake lines then remove calipers and give them a good clean, you can reuse the anti rattle shim again normally and a bit of grease Bosch super fit or similar
        RS 2 580HP

Comment

It might be simple for some Artis, but you saying that does not really help anyone.

Golfboy:

You will need to replace the dampners (8A0615231D) as well. They are relatively expensive.
          I got mine from Carparts-pros.com:

SCHEIBE
          OE-Nr: 8A0615231D

TP0-8A0615231D-OT
          4 43.10 EUR 172.40 EUR
          Subtotal 172.40 EUR
          plus shipping costs* 25.70 EUR
          Total cost 198.10 EUR

They have glue on the backside covered by paper that you take off before
          you install them into the caliper pistons. Then you firmly press the pads to the glued surface of the dampners.

You will not be able to do this without taking off the caliper. But that is easy and only two bolts for each caliper. If you secure them with som elastic bands or something else, you can have them hanging from the brakelines without disconnect them and save you for some work.
          However you might find out that the new pads will have a tight fit and that you better off taking the caliper off completly to get it proparly cleaned when you are at it. Inspect them and maybe repaint them

If you dont replace dampners or decide to run without, expect some serious noise in the near future.

See pictures attached. One is showing the dampner (greased with some alupaste).
          The other showing the dampner installed into the two pistons inside the caliper.

Good luck!
          Attached Files

Comment

As A further note, I have cleaned and painted and re guled dampeners many time and never had a problem
            RS 2 580HP

Comment

Forgot to say but you need to remove pad sliders and clean and treat behind for corrosion normally better to replace the plates and fixings this is the main fault of the caliper
              RS 2 580HP

Comment

JAde:

What kind of glue did you use for this? When I refurbed my brakes the anti rattle shims where more or less gone. Badly corroded... The guide plates can be a pain in the *** to get off without ruin the tiny little screw that holds it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by jade View Post
                  Forgot to say but you need to remove pad sliders and clean and treat behind for corrosion normally better to replace the plates and fixings this is the main fault of the caliper
                  What is the pad slider? The silver plate in Latz's first pic?

Comment

Ok, We do not have salt on the road here

I use a contact glue to fix the old dampers back on to the new pads, Removing the screws for the sliding plates can be difficult I normally weld a bolt to them as the hex head always rounds
                    Last edited by jade; 13 November 2014, 13:09.
                    RS 2 580HP

Comment

Originally posted by Latz View Post
                      See pictures attached. One is showing the dampner (greased with some alupaste).
                      alupaste - something like this ?
                      http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-408...=8802629058561

Comment

There's no need to take the calipers off.
                        Nor for the pads nor for the dampners.

Unsprung the clip on the back side of the caliper using plumber pliers and tilt it open from top to bottom.
                        With a painter scraper to cut separate the pad from the adhesive side of the dampner
                        Take off the pad and then using a big screwdriver aplly leverage to push the pistons all way back inside their recesses.
                        Now Take off the dampner.
                        About dampners and noise squeaking....
                        I'm running my calipers without dampners for years now without noise issues.
                        I found this it's related to pads make some do squeak others don't
                        On Brembo pads I have no noise at all and so far I'm on third set.
                        Consider also the Brembo calipers on other cars even the same calipers (Ferrari/Aston Martin/Alfa Romeo etc etc) don't use any dampners.
                        I quote thoug that to have the sliders off you need to have the caliper on a working bench.

Stefano
                        http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Originally posted by veneto rs2 View Post
                          There's no need to take the calipers off.
                          Nor for the pads nor for the dampners.
                          Yes, I've recenly confirmed that you were absolutely right.

Comment

Originally posted by Latz View Post
                            You will need to replace the dampners (8A0615231D) as well. They are relatively expensive.
                            I got mine from Carparts-pros.com:

SCHEIBE
                            OE-Nr: 8A0615231D

TP0-8A0615231D-OT
                            4 43.10 EUR 172.40 EUR
                            Subtotal 172.40 EUR
                            plus shipping costs* 25.70 EUR
                            Total cost 198.10 EUR
                            Blowing some dust of an old topic:

The OEM Audi dampner pads are rather expensive. Is there an equivalent part from Porsche? Does anyone know the Porsche OEM part number?

The original Audi part consists of a plate with 2 cylinders on it. Diameters of these cylinders are 44 and 36mm.

When you look at Porsche 993 turbo brake dampners, then there are 2 separate dampning plates of 44 and 36 mm. Price is about 7 euro per plate!
                            For example (36mm):
                            https://www.rosepassion.com/de/cat/p...h-36-mm/P43131

Would these Porsche plates fit and do their job on RS2 brakes?

Has anyone tested this?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Braeckie; 5 September 2018, 09:06.

Comment

Sure mine had the individual type plates in them when I last changed the pads

Comment

Working...
                              X