Scrubbed the Benz brake project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrubbed the Benz brake project....

Because a pair of excellent Porsche Cayenne brake calipers fell into my lap. The hard lines are missing off the caliper body. Can the front caliper hard brake line be used off the A4/B5 caliper on the Porsche one? They seem to be similar.... 3/16” , bubble flare, 10-1.0mm.

Well here is what I intend to use...

This will be used with a Porsche Cayenne caliper which seem to be cheaper to get than Boxster or 911 Calipers. The brackets are 5/8" thick 7075 T6 Aluminum. You would need 10G to even crack them...F1 cars do not exceed that much G-force.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by junkeravant; 17 July 2014, 14:10.

Comment

I hope that you are not going to leave those screws like shown on pic . You bracket can be as strong as a mountaing, but if you cut off part of the screw head like that you are creating a weak link.

I personally dont like your solution with screw.

Comment

Maybe 10g to crack when cold but a lot less when hot, 7075 not ideal, it's working temps you need to be thinking about, use 6082-T6.

Comment

Just noticed that bolt head, are you a member of team bodge?

Comment

That was a preliminary set up to see if....

things line up correctly. If you notice the hub wasn't even attached to anything...duh. As to 6082 T6 ..here in the US that stuff is not suggested. 7075 we have here must be tougher that the stuff you guys got there. Many race teams here swear by it and some of the tuning outfits here use it successfully while 6082 is ok, many here settle for 7075.

Comment

Why I'm using 7075.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy
              and why 6082 IS NOT GOOD for what I'm doing...check the UK info.
              http://www.protolabs.co.uk/resources...09/default.htm

Comment

crack on then mate, literally
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

its on wikipedia so its gotta be true

Comment

I take it you haven't read all that second link?

"In general, of the two available alloys, 6082 may be the "default" choice for its lower cost and ease of forming. 7075 will be reserved for those applications in which its greater strength and toughness justify its higher cost, brittleness under extreme stress, and production challenges."

As I said it's working temps you need to be thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by junkeravant View Post
                      7075 we have here must be tougher that the stuff you guys got there. Many race teams here swear by it and some of the tuning outfits here use it successfully while 6082 is ok, many here settle for 7075.
                      Yeah it must be tougher. After all it's what that quality American tuning firm ECS use.

Here's a pic of one of their brackets that seems to have split in half.

Have fun.

Comment

You must have missed the other thread Martin
                        http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72041
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'm sure I've got some high temperature glue that would fix that bracket no probs!
                          IMO it's just not worth the risk of getting it wrong with brakes. If in any doubt, make it out of decent quality steel & make it chunky too

Comment

Another thought to add to the mix, aluminium thermally expands at a different rate compared to steel. This might explain the broken bracket shown above...

Comment

Working...
                            X