Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Handbrake Adjuster

Hi

The handbrake on my RS2 is basically non-existent and needs adjusting, anyone know how to adjust through the hole in the disc/drum? I have shone a torch through the hole and turned the disc but all i can see is two springs as i turn it, i dont see any adjuster in there. Can anyone through any light on where the adjuster is exactly from looking at a clock face...3 oclock, 6 oclock 9 oclock etc..

Would appreciate any help or advise..

Rusty

The tightener is usually right below the handbrake itself, above the propshaft. Theres a bracket to which you clamp the cables. There's a nut to tighten it. Very tough to access without taking the propshaft off.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your response

I know about that adjuster and its location and difficulties in adjusting but there is also one inside the disc/drum that is accessible via a 15mm hole in the disc that works as a kind of ratchet, pretty much the same as the old classic minis. Thats the one i cannot see through the hole that i am trying to adjust.. It shows it in the RS2 workshop manual but i cant see it through the hole, im that maybe im looking in the wrong place...

Comment

First hearing about adjustable handbrake on a B4 caliper side. The number of calipers which I've changed on Audis, none had adjustable (with disc brakes that is, drums are adjustable).

Comment

Yup

RS2 has an adjuster inside the drum/disc it has small handbrake shoes that are adjustable, it doesnt use the normal brake pads when the handbrake is applied.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybullethole View Post
            Hi

The handbrake on my RS2 is basically non-existent and needs adjusting, anyone know how to adjust through the hole in the disc/drum? I have shone a torch through the hole and turned the disc but all i can see is two springs as i turn it, i dont see any adjuster in there. Can anyone through any light on where the adjuster is exactly from looking at a clock face...3 oclock, 6 oclock 9 oclock etc..

Would appreciate any help or advise..

Rusty
            You are looking for No. 4 in the first diagram, you can turn it by pushing one side with a screwdriver if it is free, if its not remove the disc and unseize the adjuster.

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Real picture of the adjuster

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Hi Andy

Is that sitting at around the 3 o`clock position then? it seems to be in the drawing.

Comment

When i look through the hole in the disc/drum i can see the two spring clips (number 2 in the drawing) looking at the drawing it seem the adjuster is around 90 deg (on the right) between these to spring clips.

Comment

The adjuster wheel is at the 8 o'clock position.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks very much..

Comment

Do yourself a favour and search for the terms "RS2 workshop manual".

Comment

Not sure what workshop manual you were using as the picture is quite clear where the adjuster is

page 46-18 picture 46-921
                          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

I already have the RS2 manual and it shows all the relevant parts, its just that when i was looking through the hole in the disc i couldnt see the adjusted, i guess i need a brighter torch or i need to look harder

Comment

Top advice Andy as usual.
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                              X