Poor mans brake upgrade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave you answered faster than my previous post, but here is my opinion:

When going from 2 to 4 to 6 or whatever number of pots, giving they don't raise disk diameter, I think total pot surface will anyway be increased so giving a proportionally higher force applyed to the disk (+ the small percentages increase in performances given by applying force at bigger radius, as stated in my prevous answer).

Marco

Comment

Originally posted by Pisobiker
      Need to make a clarification to what previously stated:

Condition is: resultant force applyed at same disk radius point.

As a matter of fact force applyed to the disk will of course be proportional to the pressure of brake fluid (supposed the same) multiplyed by total surface of pots. But BRAKING FORCE is a "momentum":

Agreed. All other parameters being equal brake PEDAL force should be the same for a 2 pot or 4 pot. And the 4 pot would require more pedal travel!
      So why does Porsche, Ferrari,... use pistons on both sides?
      Dave K.
      USA
      1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
      2001 S4

Comment

Pistons of equal size on opposite sides of the dics result in an even force being applied to both sides of the disc simultaneously.

This reduces potential hot spots on one side of the disc and also reduces run out.

It also means you have less moving parts - the only parts which move are the pistons. No guide pins etc
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X