S2 ABY Rear brake novice needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 ABY Rear brake novice needs help

Larger rear disc using original callipers on my Audi S2 ABY Coupe. Fitted with 17”Audi Avus rims.

Getting the callipers I would prefer and new carriers and all the other bits in South Africa is a problem hence I am looking for an alternative solution.

I am looking at this option disc from the Audi Allroad C6.
    Diameter (mm): 302
    •Thickness (mm): 12
    •Min (mm): 10
    •HT (mm): 42
    •B (mm): 68
    •N: 5
    •Type: Solid
    •OE Ref: 4F0615601G

So yep its 12mm thick. The standard is 10mm is 2mm that such a big issue?

Another concern it the height 40mm is the standard, 42mm on the new disc is 2mm such an issue?

Mounting brackets would have to be made but it seems to me to be quite simple.

The standard diameter is 245mm, now it would be going to 302mm. Should improve the rear braking.

I have the 996 upgrade on the front with 321mm diameter discs.

What if anything will happen to the brake bias. Everything else on the brake system is standard.

Will the handbrake cable be an issue?

With me not being a Brake Guru could one of the Gurus like to offer any advice?

I would go with thuppu rear brake conversion using standard calipers just bigger discs are needed it's tried and tested conversion that works all best michael

Comment

Found it.

So the only concern is the thickness of the disc.

Is that when new pads are fitted?

Or is it the disc does not fit because of the 12mm thickness and the carrier needing metal removed for it to fit.

If its because of when the pads are new it does not fit then its seems easy to solve.
      Last edited by orsum; 5 February 2017, 13:18.

Comment

Hi Stephen best to pm Thomas he will let you know I think rusty also does a kit

Comment

Checked all the threads I can find on using original S2 coupe calipers and larger disc's. I have found nothing. URS4 & S6 yes but not the S2.

Basically the concept is the same from what I can see. They even talk about grinding a bit of metal off because of the disc thickness. And they spoke about were brackets can be purchased. The bracket is not the issue.

I need a solution were the parts are available in SA. The Mazda disc spoken about in one of the threads are not available in SA. It is much cheaper to buy local than import parts. Audi parts are normally easy to get in SA.

The disc I am looking at is from the Allroad, easy to get.

If anybody has see a thread for only the S2 coupe please post the link

Comment

Hi, Trust you are well.

I use rear discs and calipers of a URS4, Vented and 20MM thick, if my memory serves me correctly.

Only went bigger because on the track car i use S2 struts and run with centre diff locked, so any additional braking capacity on the rear can be used effectively.

In a road car application big rear brakes just cause ABS to work overtime, under heavy braking.
            Regards
            Ryss
            www.autostart.co.za

Comment

Hi Ryss,

Interesting comment.

I was under the impression that the Porsche 996 setup on the front made it almost mandatory to upgrade the rear to balance the cars braking. Effectively having to use a bigger/better rear setup.

So if I am to improve the rear brakes when using the car on the road what would you recommend.

The only time I plan to slam on the brake are if a lion or rhino is standing in the road as I come around the bend.

Comment

Epytec make an adapter to fit the 302 x12 discs to rear of an S2 coupe using the standard calipers -

Link -

https://www.epytec.de/en/brake-techn...-systeme?c=106

Description -

Audi S2 Bremssattel Adapter Hinterachse 302x12 Bremsscheibe Bremsanlage Umbau
                Adaptateur d'étrier de frein pour l'essieu arrière 302x12 Disque de freinage pour changement du système

für Hinterachse: Audi S2 Coupé
                Bremssattel: Audi S2 Coupe
                Bremsscheibe: Audi A6 Allrad 302x12mm Teile Nr. 24.0112-0176.1 412176

€129.00
                Lieferung morgen, 07.02.2017
                (2)
                Made in Germany
                Mit Materialzertifikat

Comment

Hello good afternoon, I am currently running A8 brake caliper with 260mm MB170 disc. I would like to know if anyone has tested the link adapters on their S2 coupe at the rear.
                  https://epytec.de/de/audi-vw-golf-5-...el-bremse-2256

THANKS AND GREETING

Comment

Working...
                  X