what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is this?

Right i pulled out my drive today to go training and the battery symbol came on. I looked at the voltmeter and it had dropped to just above 10. It usually sits just above 12 (not sure if that is right). The rest of the way it was fine. On the way back though it kept jumping from 12 to 10 with the full beam dipping on occasions. What could it be? Do u think it is the alternator or is the battery on the way out? The belt is making a quite a noise at the moment so do u think the belt could be slipping. Thanks for your help
    3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

sounds like your belt needs tightening..

Comment

that was what my dad suggested. When i pulled up in the drive after completing my journey the battery symbol stayed on and the meter read just over ten. At the moment i am having to use the car for very short journeys to and from work of about one mile thats why i thought the battery might be on its way. Any suggestions
      3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

If i get the codes read will it show if there is anything wrong with the alternator?

Comment

Update: i used the car again as normal and no problems at all. No dips in power the meter showed just over 12. What signs should i look for if the alternator is going? Do u think the belt just needs tightening?

Comment

Why not tighten the belt anyway.. While you are down there check the big thick wire from the alternator to make sure its not shorting on anything, on the ur it tends to short on the oil cooler bracket and will kill the battery if left like that.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Ok i will tighten the belt just to see. From what i have posted do u think the alternator is ok?

Comment

the alternator regulator are may old,and need to be changed,the thingy back at the alternator,have 2 small screw and a small unit in the mittle.shuld hav marked on 15v,not 14v

Comment

This happened to me about a month ago. Intermittent at first, then more regular. Sure sign of the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator going for a poop. Best to change it out now or you may find yourself stranded on the side of the road!
                  Ben
                  Calgary, Alberta
                  Canada
                  1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
                  Panther Black Metallic
                  www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

How hard is it to change the voltage regulator and anyone got the part number for it. The problem has got worse and more regular now and today for the first time the battery symbol on the computer came on. I am convinced its the belt because when it drops to around 10v and then drop a gear so the revs go up it usually goes back up to around 12-13v.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieyid
                      How hard is it to change the voltage regulator and anyone got the part number for it. The problem has got worse and more regular now and today for the first time the battery symbol on the computer came on. I am convinced its the belt because when it drops to around 10v and then drop a gear so the revs go up it usually goes back up to around 12-13v.
                      It is most definitely the VR. If you drive much more in this state, the car will stall and you will have no battery power. This is the identical scenario that happened to me. As far as changing the VR goes, your best bet is to remove the alternator completely. The VR is kind of at the top-rear of the alt and hard to get to with tools because of the AC condenser.
                      Ben
                      Calgary, Alberta
                      Canada
                      Panther Black Metallic
                      www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

was it an expensive job? i dont think i will be able to do the job myself

Comment

It's a simple job and not worth taking to a mechanic. Unbolt wires to alt., unbolt alt. (3 or 4 bolts), remove alt., unscrew VR (two philips head screws) and replace. Install alt and tighten belt. A half hour to an hour at most. VR is very inexpensive.
                          Ben
                          Calgary, Alberta
                          Canada
                          Panther Black Metallic
                          www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

Hi anybody got a voltage regulator or the part number for it. Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by stevieyid
                              Hi anybody got a voltage regulator or the part number for it. Thanks for your help
                              I think it may well depend on your alternator.
                              I have a 90A alt on my 3B and the p/n was 068 903 803DX.
                              Cost approx £20 plus a £10 deposit on the exchange part!

Didn't however fix my charging problems - had to get a replacement alternator for that - Cost £113 exchange from a bosch main dealer.

Do get it sorted ASAP though - otherwise you'll be calling the AA from the side of the M25 like I did last week

PS - and if you do decide to do it yourself - don't forget to disconnect the battery first!

Comment

Working...
                              X