This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentially serious wiring fault

This is NOT a joke - Please do NOT disregard this message...

Whilst investigating the root cause of my inoperative headlamp washer system, I dug out the relevant schematics to give me the relay pinouts.

I removed the relay for the headlamp washers (J39) from position 4 in the main fusebox and used a jumper wire to try to temporarily feed the headlamp washer pump with 12V... This eliminating J39 from the system as I thought it the most likely culprit. The pump didn't make any noise so its either totally dead or I have a wiring fault between the fusebox and the headlamp washer pump.

What *REALLY* worried me, when I studied the schematic, is that the unswitched 12V feed (T30) to the headlamp washer pump (thru the relay) is shown as being UNFUSED. This is potentially horrific as if the pump fails in a short circuit condition there is going to be meltdown of the wiring loom as there is nothing to stop excessive current draw from the battery.

Likewise if the relay fails internally with a short condition from 12V (T30) to earth (T31) then its a serious fire risk... At best you are looking at major damage to the wiring loom.

Its horrendous. More investigation is required, but consider yourselves warned. My headlamp washer pump (or the wiring to it) has failed in an open-circuit condition thank goodness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As a short term safety measure I recommend that everybody removes Relay 4 from their main fusebox. This is currently (no pun intended) the only way to break the potentially hazardous circuit without modifications to the wiring loom.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those with schematics - Refer to the 1994 Coupe/Cabriolet binder (000.5201.57.20) - Sheet 1/16 - Track 167. I have the latest edition (20) dated 11/99 AFAIK. The date on sheet 1/16 goes back to 08/93.

For those without schematics I'll scan the scarey page. For those without any electrical experience I shall annotate another version of the schematic with the relevant information.

Regards,

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Further to this I have found the same notation on the Audi 80 schematics (not Coupe or Cabrio). This is on Sheet 1/14, Track 159. The date on this sheet is 07/93 - correct as per last edition (18) of these schematics in 08/97.

This problem is then applicable to ALL Audi 80 variants with the headlamp washer system.

Paul
    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

What's written on the realy, make sure us non-electrical types are getting the right one?
      acidtrax

Comment

The notation on mine is 275 (two-seven-five) - don't have part number in fornt of me

paul
        Paul Nugent

Comment

Part Number is 443 955 535

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Paul: Don't forget that Audi has seen fit in the past to also not fuse other high draw current items, like the radiator fans....One of the first things that I now do when purchasing an older B3/B4 chassis car is to fuse the ground lead from the fan....

Headlights in the past have also not been relayed, folks who have gone to high wattage lights w/o upgrading to relays soon find that they are having issues with the light/combo switch on the steering column....
            Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
            1991 Coupe Quattro
            1991 Coupe Quattro
            1995 S6 Sedan
            1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Peter, good catch but we in the States .....

have known about this problem for quite awhile. The Audi Club USA made it known back then. Especially the cooling fan bodge that Audi forgot too deal with. Most of us with Coupes have already used the retro part Audi put together for the 200's/100's. Those models suffered more from the fan problem. For the headlite washer circuit, that has also been dealt with here by a fuse being added. Good warning to our Euro brothers.

Comment

Yes an inline fuse is the simplest approach for those that don't wish to throw that relay in the bin. I'm astonished by this from Audi I must say.

Watch this space !
                Paul Nugent

Comment

Well spotted Paul ! Relay out. At least the bonnet will look dirty all over instead of the back spray caused by the headlamp wash...

Comment

Any hints for wiring in a fuse on this for electrical luddites like myself who also happen to like the headlamp washer function?
                    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Jimmy's is coming out
                      as aerial is getting sorted now,
                      anything i should know on do's & donts..... as i dont want my bf to
                      fiddle about with anything he shouldnt

Cheers
                      Tina

Comment

Ah the joys of not having headlight washers

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

can we have a list of stuff that need to be fused and how we do it.cheers
                          1990 100 2.2 10vqt 82k miles(now dead)
                          1990 90 2.3 20v 166k miles
                          1988 90 2.0 10v 181k miles
                          oh and a polo for work.

Comment

inline fuses...?

Yes, seconded here,
                            Could someone with a brain please let me and other members not so electrically adept know what to fuse, exactly how to do it, and with what rating of fuse? Would be very helpful.
                            Thanks
                            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

does this also include rs2?
                              Cheers

Murat

Comment

Working...
                              X