No announcement yet.

My speedo has stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could replace the speedo with a new one and wind the clock forward manually before installing it. BUT - this would probably take you several years. The miles turn on a screw thread attached to a small motor so it's VERY difficult to turn manually. You might be able to power the motor somehow, but I think you'd be fighting a losing battle.

Here's a pic of the back of the mileage bit

ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Hey thx for the pictures!

Hmm.. as my counter works and doesn't work every now and then I bet it must be that connector and or wire thats playing havoc, guess I'll open it up in the near future to check it out, while I'm back there I can clean the rest too
      *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
      Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

What do you know Audi Crawley have found the problem with my non-functioning speedo :eek2:
        They have only had the car for 7 days - you can rely on a warranty job to really get the guys into top gear.
        Has turned out to be the the printed circuit board on the back of the speedo/instrument cluster, so now just waiting on one turning up from Audi UK.
        You never know I may get my car back this week
        Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
        Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

love to know what was actually failing or causing the failure as mine is very intermittent and i need to get it fixed...

Cheers,

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by GlynRS2
            Has turned out to be the the printed circuit board on the back of the speedo/instrument cluster
            That could be my prob too, can you tell me what that printed circuit board costs to replace? Even though in your case it's warranty....
            *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
            Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

I repaired mine! The speed signal wire in the blue connector was causing the problem. I soldered it in place and now it has been working few days perfectly.

What's the problem with yours, David? Speedo working and odo not or both failing?
              -

Comment

Working...
              X