HID or LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID or LED

Need brighter headlights as mine are shocking what's best HID or LED and do people change both beams?

I live in a cold climate so this is likely more of a concern for myself, but LED won't melt snow or ice off the headlight lenses.

More importantly, while LEDs may have very high lumen ratings they don't offer much in the way of lux. Best way to think of the two (and they both matter in terms of lighting) is that lumens are a measure of how bright and lux is a measure of dispersion. For instance, the amount of light available on a clear night with a full moon is 1 lux.

For this reason, I'd steer clear of LEDs (unless we're talking OEM units in a modern S8 or such) and get a quality HID kit from a reputable vendor like DDM, VVME, theretrofitsource, Morimoto, etc. I think you'll find a quality set of 55w ballasts and bulbs will be more than sufficient for your needs.

There are a couple examples of people using Acura TSX or Audi TT projectors to fabricate a true bixenon housing, but that can be delicate and difficult work. I'd suggest to start with a good HID kit and if you need more light on high beams, then to further investigate the DIY bixenon upgrade.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
    2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
    2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
    1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I have disaagree on the LED, Philips has excellent H4 and H7 replacement "bulbs" that will give double the light than normal halogen, while maintaining the light patern They were tested in the Geman mag auto motor und sport, way better than whatver other p&p options

​​​​​​see also https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...64#post2041964
      Last edited by Henkjan; 16 December 2018, 09:46.

Comment

I tested some of the early LED's and they were rubbish for pattern and light output. They have got way better over the past year or two, so may be a good option now. The heatsink on the back of an LED bulb can be an issue if you want to fit the rear cover on the bulb housing. I'm happy with HIDs for now due to their low price point and decent light output.
        Last edited by SteveH; 18 December 2018, 06:09.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I quite like the Nightbreakers I have in the coupe, certainly way better than standard halogens.

If you’re going HID go medium whiteness, the very white ones are horrible. I had to chuck the ones that came with my Avant.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163216912013
          Last edited by newsh; 17 December 2018, 20:02.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Anyone taken the plunge yet on a set of Philips Ultinon led h4 bulbs? They do it for me in terms of the reviews they get, I'm just not sure on how big the heatsinks on the back are and whether the cover fits back on over the opening in the headlamp. (or whether you would want to and seal off the heat sink which needs to lose heat to the surrounding air. .)

Comment

HID 55w 6000k

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                Need brighter headlights as mine are shocking what's best HID or LED and do people change both beams?
                I will probably be going back to OE lights if you want to have my HID kit. You might have to wait a week or two though.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I have these HID's on high and low beam:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fast...6714390fCvzSTh

They come on immediately and take a second or two to reach full brightness. The immediate brightness is fine for flashing etc. There's probably a lot of people who would say that this is a bad way to use HID's and they will fail quickly, I thought I'd find out for myself though and they are working at the moment and have done for 6 months or so. So they'll probably fail tomorrow...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fast...6714390fCvzSTh

The light output is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                    Anyone taken the plunge yet on a set of Philips Ultinon led h4 bulbs? They do it for me in terms of the reviews they get, I'm just not sure on how big the heatsinks on the back are and whether the cover fits back on over the opening in the headlamp. (or whether you would want to and seal off the heat sink which needs to lose heat to the surrounding air. .)
                    I installed them in my mother's Octavia (H7's) and the improvement was staggering. true white, not blue, excellent beam pattern, at least double brightness compared to halogens
                    My ABY has H1s so these LEDs are not available unfortunately, so have not been able to test the size of the heatsinks
                    normal halogens have to lose their heat (and that's probably more than the LEDs) too, so no difference there. but if airflow around the heatsink can be improved it will lower temp and improve lifetime of the lamp

Comment

That's a good point - I bet halogens have more heat to lose, they must do as they are consuming more power than the LED. I think halogens lose their heat from the front more as the heat is off the filament, led drivers generate the heat in those set ups so more heat at the rear but it is prob overall less still. One day maybe I will go for it... ​​​​​​ Beam pattern and sharpness is unchanged with the Philips led, that's a big step forward as traditionally early led bulbs scattered more light than they projected.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

I will probably be going back to OE lights if you want to have my HID kit. You might have to wait a week or two though.
                        Sounds like a nice offer Dave what you want for them

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post

Sounds like a nice offer Dave what you want for them
                          Let me check they work first.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

One isn’t working. Looks like corrosion on the connectors. Let me see if I can get them both working before I waste your time (and money)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

No worries bud can get them for around £25 on Amazon anyhoo

Comment

Working...
                              X